Old amp pushing 2 ohms.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by timibud, Sep 4, 2004.

1. timibud

Aug 29, 2004
    Howdy! It's an old Peavey (500BH) that's rated to 2 ohms. I know how stupidly durable they are, but I still wonder if it's such a bright idea to push it real hard after 20+ years. Opinions anyone?
  2. Rock&Roll

Jul 21, 2002
    Heh. It should be fine man. If it blows up, it won't be because you ran a 2-ohm load on it. It's not like a car, when you can sometimes limp it arround when it isn't running right. Really 20 years isn't that old if an amp hasn't been beat up physically so that parts inside would be vibrated apart.

I suppose if you had some money to burn, you could take the amp to a amp shop; one that has A LOT of skills, not some hill-jack operation. Tell them you want the amp checked over so that you don't have to worry about it ever failing you. Most likey, they might fix some solder joints, replace a few caps, clean the pots, install a grounded power cord (if it doesn't have one) and that might be it.

The other option is to buy a backup amp.
  3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i had a peavey mark 4 i ran at 2 ohms from time to time
    honestly, the peavey bass amps from that era (i'm assuming this thing has the really big heatsink on the outside of the back of the amp) are among the most durable things known to man, (next to dried wheaties stuck to a cereal bowl).
    Think of them as the Timex of the bass amp world.
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If the power amps in those old Peavey heads are similar to the CS series power amps, you got nothing to worry about. I know plenty of local bands who ran those things at 2 ohm loads per side full bore for 20+ years and finally replaced the with something lighter because they got tired of lugging them around. When ditched or sold, every one of them was still going strong.

I even know a couple of idiots who regularly ran a CS800 with a 1 ohm load per side, at very high volume, and didn't experience a failure. Their amps did bottom out on current on extreme transients, but it didn't hurt the amp. Some people think that just because all of their PA cabinets have daisy chain jacks on them that it's OK to hook up as many cabs as you want to each output.

Bottom line, that old Peavey stuff was built like a tank. I definitely wouldn't recommend going below the rated load like the idiots I mentioned above, but as long as you aren't exceeding it, shouldn't be a problem.
  5. timibud

Aug 29, 2004
    Thanx for the answers! I figured as much. I got it to be not much of a theft target to take where only fools dare to tread! :eyebrow:
  6. My old Peavey Series 400 is rated 210 watts into 2 ohms, and it's happily run there without any problems. Lots of beefy output transistors (2n3772).
  7. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    For sure, they won't grab it and run......................... :D