Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

old Ampeg 810 cab question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KingOfAmps, Aug 16, 2002.

1. About when did Ampeg STOP using the "four-pin" connection on the 810 cab? Also, were the "speaker-out connections" on the SVT HEADS ever "four-pin"?

After doing a search, I've read posts stating that "four-pin" cabs should be immediately converted to 1/4". But what if the HEAD has "four-pin" (and I have never seen one that was), should it be converted?

Bassically, should the whole rig be made 1/4"?

Lastly, is there a possibilty of having a head with 1/4" and a cab with the "four-pin"? Is this a bad idea? Help.

2. If you do convert it, why not go Speakon instead of 1/4"?

3. JoelEoM

JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    i had a '73 V-4B cabinet that was equipped with the 4-pin connector. V-4B heads are 1/4 inch, and ampeg supplied the proper cable to run between the head and the cabinet, correct me if im wrong. had i planned to keep using the cab, i would have swapped out the 4-pin in favor of a 1/4" jack, so i wouldnt get stuck using a specialized cable. AFAIK SVT heads were never equipped with 4-pin speaker outs. if you have a rig thats 1/4" out on the head to 4-pin input on the cab, i think the easiest route is to change the 4-pin to 1/4", as i stated above.

4. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    I think the earliest SVTs ('69) used the 4-pin connector.

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    From what I remember, only the cabs had the 4 pin connector.

I had a an SVT 810 & the connector broke on me when I brought it to re-test with my head. I went looking for about 2 weeks for that connectore w/no luck & converted it to a 1/4" input

6. Duly noted. But I've already been threatened with violence just over that mere possibilty.

Thank You for sharing this.

I think I've verified this.

Sounds like a plan. Thanks!