old ampeg 810

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dr.corcles, Nov 11, 2004.

1. dr.corcles

Oct 26, 2004
    I have the SVT classic head and an older 810 cab (not sure how old). I think it is intended to be paired with another 810 as the cab is at or below 300 rms (it's got the square magnets). How loud can I turn up on the head if I use just the one cab?
  2. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    The SVT Classic only puts out 300w RMS (RMS is an an average the real output should be much lower) so as loud as you want untill you start heavily clipping. The cab is rated at 300w but should be able to take around 600 no problem and 600+ for short periods of time
  3. An 810 can take a vintage 70's SVT on 10, and the newer "Classic" is definately not as loud, (loud not really being a scientific measurement, but you know what I mean), so as long as the cab is in normal working order....

don't worry be happy
  4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I think you'll find yourself turning it down to preserve your organs :smug:
    Even old 810 had high efficiency because of the 8 drivers, i believe, so it will be plenty loud :bassist:
  5. timv

timv Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Chandler, AZ
    I've read this discussion before and the old cabs are rated at about 240 watts rms. They were sold with 2 cabinets because the cabs were blowing but back then people were playing halls without the modern day pa's and would have there svt's at about 10 which is very very loud so today you aren't likely to blow that cabinet but listen and make sure it doesn't make any weird sounds. It should be fine though.
  6. Thanks man! You don't know how much I needed that right now.
  7. dr.corcles

Oct 26, 2004
    Thanks all for the useful advice- sounds like it'll be just fine.