1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Old Ampeg Cabinet Identification

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Peter Wagstaff, Dec 15, 2020.

1. Peter Wagstaff

Peter Wagstaff

Jun 10, 2019
    I find myself with a little spending money, and I've been amp-less for some time now. I've been back and forth considering a small, efficient combo or just getting a cabinet and finding an amp that compliments it. I always feel like I miss out on some great deals when I find a listing that I'm interested in but then wait too long.

So here is what I've come across: It looks to be some model of an Ampeg B15 cabinet but not in too great condition. Obviously it was split up from its amp some time ago. It has be resurfaced with some black texture, and I'm guessing the logo and any handles were removed at that time too. The speaker was replaced, but I'm not sure what kind is in it now. The input jack is 1/4. There are a couple tears in the grill cloth. I can't really tell if it even has a fliptop design, or maybe this was also changed during the retexture. I know this isn't really collectors grade condition, and I don't think I would be up for restoring it any time soon.

I read through a number of Ampeg wikis to try and place the exact model, but I'm really not sure. The grill cloth is more of a brown color. It looks like some form of baffle design because you can see the wooden bar across the front of the speaker. The speaker is a little lower than center. Then there seems to be some sort of rectangular port at the top of the cabinet? That's about all the info I have.

So what's your take? I believe it's authentic but just modified. Is it worth a day of driving to pick it up? I'm also curious how much these things weigh, but I haven't found a straight answer. Maybe somewhere around 50 lbs? What kind of amp would pair well with it? I'm assuming something low wattage given the age and unknown speaker. I've been looking at the Quilter Labs Interbass, but if you know of something similar I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks!

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Pic or two would help.

Peter Wagstaff likes this.
  3. Peter Wagstaff

Peter Wagstaff

Jun 10, 2019
    Screenshot_20201215-185819.png

4. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
  5. Peter Wagstaff

Peter Wagstaff

Jun 10, 2019
    Right, I did consider the rotation, but what throws me off is that the speaker isn't really in a corner. Also the bar across the speaker is still horizontal, so is that possible? Maybe I don't fully understand the baffle design yet.

So you're thinking a 12" then. The picture does look like a smaller speaker than any of the 15 models. I was just taking the seller's word for it, but maybe they never bothered to measure it. I would assume the 12s are a little lighter too?

6. Vintage-Blue

Vintage-Blue Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2008
    Cincinnati, OH
    Owner, Vintage Blue (repro cabinets)
    That is an odd one. I agree that the cutout looks more like a 12 than a 15. It does look similar to a rotated SB12 baffle but the crossbar would be turned wrong (as has been mentioned) plus the port on the SB12 was only 3/4" wide. Are any other shots of the cabinet available? It would be interesting to determine whether access into the cabinet was through the top or the back, since the grill is not removeable from the front. The cabinet proportions look similar to a single baffle B15, or perhaps even an M15. I was trying to get a better look at the corners but you can only kind of see the bottom two. Ampeg cabinets had metal corners and before covering with tolex you would cut or sand off a bit of the wood at the corners. This would allow you to trim some of the tolex there later so that the metal corners would fit properly. The bottom corners in the photo still appear fairly square but it's hard to tell. More photos could be helpful or they may just add to the mystery.

IMG_4088.jpg

Peter Wagstaff likes this.
  7. Peter Wagstaff

Peter Wagstaff

Jun 10, 2019
    The only other photo is of the cabinet on top of the Ampeg, but I think you can see the top corners a little better. Maybe I'll bother the seller for more pictures. I'd like to see it in person, but it would be a shame to make the drive if I'm not set on buying.
    Screenshot_20201216-110629.png

8. Vintage-Blue

Vintage-Blue Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2008
    Cincinnati, OH
    Owner, Vintage Blue (repro cabinets)
    So, one of the things that has been bothering me is the grill cloth, which is obviously very old. I still don't know what is going on with the cabinet but I'm fairly certain that the grill/baffle has been cut down from a B12XY, rotated, and recovered with the original cloth:

B12XY.jpg

coreyfyfe likes this.
  9. Peter Wagstaff

Peter Wagstaff

Jun 10, 2019
    That does look close. The only thing is the port looks more centered, and the speaker looks a little smaller.

Maybe this cabinet is more modified than I thought. It could be converted from a combo, cut down from a larger cabinet, or just pieced together. Someone else may come across this with more info. In the meantime maybe I should focus on getting an amp first. At least I could play with headphones. Thanks for your input!

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021