Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

old Ampeg problem quick fix

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mingustoo, Jun 11, 2004.

1. FYI
    I bought an old Ampeg svt 200t even though(Its a long story) it would crap out after a few minutes play. I asked here if anyone knew what the problem could be but got no response other than 'take it to a qualified repairman". :meh: (I won't get into that) Anyway, putting a patch cord from effects out to effects in solved the problem. :hyper: Now it works perfectly! Sounds great too :D

2. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I still think you should take it to a qualified tech when you get a chance. Had a chance to activate that ultra low knob yet?? Mwahahahaha........:bassist:

3. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    It has the famous CratePeg bad jacks.....the line in/out needs cleaning. There is a contact made (or in your case NOT made) when no plug is in the jacks.

Use some decent contact cleaner on it and it should not be a problem for a long time.

If you look at the jack you will see that there is a long spring contact over the top of where the plug goes in. At the "loose" end of that, it makes contact with another piece when no plug is in.

That contact is the problem, probably on the one furthest from where you put the plug in.

The similar jacks marshall uses won't do that. I think newer CratePegs also have better jacks.

4. you're right cb, it's just that, in Taiwan, if I take it to a 'repairman', it may come back as an 'ampig'. Oh yeah, and the 'ultrlow' is great. I'm playing it through a cab with an 18 and a 10, so I get the ultralow fer sure. :hyper: I think I'll have some pipes for arms pretty quick because i want to carry this thing around for all my gigs-it sounds so sweet.
    notanaggie, thanks for the info. I'll do that soon.