Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Old Ampeg SVT question...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Basonsubatomia, Sep 21, 2003.

1. Basonsubatomia

Basonsubatomia

Nov 8, 2002
    Hi,

I own a '75 V-4 that I use for bass, and it's treating me well in most aspects, but I find that I'd like a little more headroom before breaking up the sound, so I thought why not get an older SVT? Now, I thought I saw an older SVT that had a separate distortion knob and perhaps channel... does anyone know if these SVTs exist, and if they do, what distinguishing features they have?

Thanks
    Jason

2. Sounds like you're describing an SVT V-9. I think it has half as many inputs. I believe it may have been more guitar oriented. Its soul-mate is the SVT V9 cabinet with 9 ten inch speakers.

Debate can erupt over this due to some confusing factors such as: Many "bonafide" SVTs utilize a back panel that's labeled "V-9". When you do see a real V-9 in use, it typically has a bass plugged into it. The rare V-9 cab is almost always used for bass.

As a result many get the impression that all SVTs are V-9s. However, I suppose all V-9s are SVTs. :meh:

The simplest way to differeniate is to take note of the input section.

3. Basonsubatomia

Basonsubatomia

Nov 8, 2002
    hot damn!! Thanks man.... now, could you magically know of someone who wants to sell theirs to me?? :)