Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Old Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by elmohoof, Nov 8, 2003.

1. elmohoof

elmohoof

Sep 24, 2003
    Alliance, OH
    Has anyone ever heard of a Haynes Bass King II amp? How about a Coral Stentor 100 amp? I used both of these amps in the late 60's. I've never seen either one of them since

2. you know, i found a Coral Stentor 100 in the Gbase listings recently. it's kind of beat up and it looks like there's stuff caked all over it. it's $100, sometimes i wonder if i should get that thing just for the old-school Germanium SS vibe.

do you remember if it was a pile of crap or not?

3. elmohoof

elmohoof

Sep 24, 2003
    Alliance, OH
    That Stentor 100 was in really good shape when I sold it but that was years ago. I have no idea if it could be the same one

4. billys73

billys73

Apr 25, 2003

Yow! I had a Haynes Bass King in the early seventies.
    I used to use the Rick-o-sound on my Rickenbacker (of course). so I had the haynes for one output and a Kustom tuck and roll cab with three 15"'s for the other.
    I powered that with a Fender Bassman head.

I have not seen a Haynes in 30 years!
    I used to see Coral amps in studios in the early 70's, both the bass and guitar amps. Never saw one on a gig.

I don't think either of these brands were very good amps. Good nostagia, though.

5. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I found an old Valco Supro bass head at my GC last week, played through it, and it had that old tube sound. The cool thing about the amp is that it only has a volume and a tone knob.

6. elmohoof

elmohoof

Sep 24, 2003
    Alliance, OH
    That Haynes Bass King II was a great amp! The square red push button on-off switch broke and I had a hell of a time finding a new one, but it sounded good I had 2-12 in it so it was alot like the old Fender Bassmans Another friend of mine had a Haynes Jazz King II that he played his Farfisa Mini-Compact organ through. I traded that Haynes for the Coral it had 3-15 in it I though the Haynes sounded better after I had it a while

7. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
  8. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    Just as simply as going and becoming a supporting member...
    I just helped a buddy pull his dad's 1971 Airstream travel trailer out of a farmers field today where it has been stored since like 1973.... Dad rode along all 97 years old of him, cool guy. He goes BOB, what do you think this thing is worth these days?

I go, "It's worth absolutely NOTHING to me..." Man what a pile of work to restore that to a thing of beauty. "However, to an Airstream collector, it's probably worth $1000-6000 bucks depending on how many are out there for sale right now. And perfectly restored to original this thing is probably worth $20K" It's a small single axel one...

SO the same thing goes for some obscure POS bass amp that nobody except DAVE ever has seen, and nobody else has ever heard of. It's probably worth nothing to most guys, but somebody out there would probably give an arm and a leg for it if it was beautiful and something he wanted.

This sort of gear is what I call "ES" or Esoteric ****. It might not have even been worth anything when it was new, its obscure, rare and probably sold in 10 music stores if the garage shop that built them was able to find a chain to sell them. Everybody in the hey day of rock and roll wanted to build gear. Hey they still do... :meh: Few succeed.. Now they call themselves Boutique, riding on the tone stacks of genius before them, it's still all ES... Today the Internet makes it all possible. Rock On...

BOB

9. Eight_Stringer

Eight_Stringer

Feb 22, 2009
    Australia
    Dont always see eye to eye with you, however on this your on the money....holy smoking thermal runaway.....gee i miss germanium transistors in 3 watt amps....yes i do i remember, i do wish there were big ADZ37's around...AD126/127 anybody? What next OC71 resurgence...regards.

10. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    There was a Haynes Bass King up on the Boston CL for a looooooooong time. Some one must have loved it, because the price was really up there, I think he came down to around $100ish before it finally disappeared.

ES. 100%.

11. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    ES, +1, and pure genius Bob.

12. I have a Haynes Bass King a friend gave to me.
    It’s noisy as hell but the tone is fantastic, a very old school bluesy overdrive.

It’s different enough to be useful recording

MM

13. Well, they are either really good and no one is selling the ones that they managed to keep, or they are really bad and they all broke and are landfill now.

14. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    You may want to take this to an amp tech and see if the simple solution is adding a 3-prong power plug and grounding the chassis. This may not only clear up the noise, but save you from getting electrocuted, as well.

15. Hankthecrank

Hankthecrank

Oct 26, 2009
    I have an old Kay bass amp that i need to put back together it need's some work ,it look's like an old suitcase with a 15 that face's backward and a volume and tone knob,i played guitar thru it and it had that old bluesbreaker's tone it has 2 6l6's so i guess it's about 30 watt's it's very cool i promised it to a friend in pa when i get down there,i'm not sure but i think it's the amp that came with the kay baby bass,anybody know?

16. Actually that was the first thing done.
    It’s just 60 cycle hum, and I’ve heard worse from unshielded basses into dead quiet amps.
    Do know it’s in the power section and not the pre but haven’t sorted it out yet.

MM

17. LOL the speaker is in the front the control panel is in the back. Sorry couldn’t resist.
    Some of the Kay bass amps are the same schematically as the Supro Thunderbolt, just made cheaper. So are a couple of the Harmony bass amps.

MM

18. Stevieb

Stevieb

Dec 9, 2008
    Reviving an old thread...

I got a Haynes Jazz King II as a package deal- the whole package cost me next to nothing. the Haynes needs lots of work, but I am hoping to find a schematic and go to it. Also got a matching cab with two more 12's- looks like it may be home-built but well done and matches the amp.

19. Rebmo

Rebmo

Aug 19, 2006
    Wisconsin
    No pics, no amps.

20. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Sep 28, 2002
    NW Arkansas
    I'm looking for an old West amp like Mel Schacher of Grand Funk played in the early days. Plug in to one of those, crank it up, and It's hard to tell if it's an electric bass or the jake -brake on a passing semi-truck.....