old ashdown(uk) mag 200 or new mag 300

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spockrock79, Jan 27, 2005.

1. spockrock79

Dec 7, 2004
    being that i'm about to get a rather large tax return, i'm not in the market for my first amp head. i know what brand cabs i'll be getting(thank the lord for boards such as these with knowledgeable bass players)-avatar. i've come across a mag 200 head for around 200.00, and i know that avatar has a special on the mag 300 head for 288.00 as well. I'll be pairing either head with an 8ohm 2x10 or 2x12 cab(haven't yet made up my fickle mind)-can anyone give me any insight into what head would be best? I don't have to be that loud, since i'm right now only messing around with a guitar player with a 50 watt tube combo. ashdown seems like the best bang for the buck and seems tailored to my tonal likings(indie type rock-ie modest mouse, pixies, radiohead(not indie i know), will the uk be a better fit b/c of better craftsmanship or is the xtra 100 watts worth it for 88 bucks more-keep in mind i'll only be playing thru an 8ohm cab for a while(at least until we get a drummer to come mess around with us which will probably be a will-i just like planning ahead and now have the money to so and may not later...)

thanks for any replies!
  2. Mag300H as they are a good amp and the slight added power will be a bonus.