Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

old ashdown(uk) mag 200 or new mag 300

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spockrock79, Jan 27, 2005.

1. spockrock79

spockrock79

Dec 7, 2004
    NC
    being that i'm about to get a rather large tax return, i'm not in the market for my first amp head. i know what brand cabs i'll be getting(thank the lord for boards such as these with knowledgeable bass players)-avatar. i've come across a mag 200 head for around 200.00, and i know that avatar has a special on the mag 300 head for 288.00 as well. I'll be pairing either head with an 8ohm 2x10 or 2x12 cab(haven't yet made up my fickle mind)-can anyone give me any insight into what head would be best? I don't have to be that loud, since i'm right now only messing around with a guitar player with a 50 watt tube combo. ashdown seems like the best bang for the buck and seems tailored to my tonal likings(indie type rock-ie modest mouse, pixies, radiohead(not indie i know), will the uk be a better fit b/c of better craftsmanship or is the xtra 100 watts worth it for 88 bucks more-keep in mind i'll only be playing thru an 8ohm cab for a while(at least until we get a drummer to come mess around with us which will probably be a will-i just like planning ahead and now have the money to so and may not later...)

thanks for any replies!

2. Mag300H as they are a good amp and the slight added power will be a bonus.