1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Old ATK pickups vs new ones

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ArvindJayaram, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Hello,
    Have been really interested in picking up an ATK bass. They seem to have completely redesigned the line, with the new models no longer sporting the triple coil pickup of the original models.

Does anyone have an idea how the new CAP Double Humbucker and CAP Sonic Arch neck pickup in the new ATK800 and ATK1200 compare to the triple coil?

What about the STD-M pickup in the Paul Gray Signature model? Sonically different from the triple coil? Also, is the PGTB2 model a one trick pony? I noticed it only has two knobs -- one a volume and other a tone control I think.

My question is better off with an older version or one of the newer models? Leaning toward an ATK505 or 305 because of the five strings, but seeing as I've never played a bass, a 4-string that could be tuned BEAD makes a lot of sense to me.

- Jimmy

2. .BumeStik.

.BumeStik.

Jul 15, 2012
    Gilbert, AZ
    I can only speak on behalf of the Old ones... I haven't played one of the Newer models yet. But, what drew me into the Old ATK's are the amazingly VERSATILE amount of tones that the old pickup/preamp combo put out. There isn't a tone I can't make. It's amazing. Most important for me was the LOW END in the old ATK p/u. I play with a Lot off Lows, Mids cut, Highs about 1/2 way. The old ATK p/u makes those settings sound FURIOUS. You Probably can't go wrong either way.... :)

3. Yes, have heard the ATKs were able to mimic Stingrays quite well, which is part of their attraction for me... Though I should clarify I have no idea what a Stingray sounds like, since I've never seen one, other than on youtube videos! A lot cheaper too :)

But I was really curious about the new line-up, since they seem to have switched pickups. Why change something that was the USP of a product is what I'm trying to figure out. Are the new pickups yay or meh? Someone who has inputs, do let us know! Particularly interested in finding out about the Paul Gray model. Why only two knobs? Why the different pickups?

- Jimmy

4. Whump.

5. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    Yod also note that the new ATK s are physically slightly smaller and therefore, lighter.