1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Old Bandmate Scrubbed My Name

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Pumpkin, Jul 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Pumpkin

Pumpkin

May 19, 2016
    Washington, DC
    Hey TB,

I know these threads pop up fairly frequently, but I wanted to know if you have any advice on what to do about having my name removed from a track I played on. I don't have any involvement With the band leader of that project, but I do have proof that I played on it. The previous bandleader attempted to do this once before and properly attributed me after I contacted him about it.

2. Scatabrain

Scatabrain

Dec 16, 2015
    Lowell, MA
    I got chopped out of a pic. Fortunately that's what I wanted as well.

If there are no contracts or money involved, it's probably difficult or not worth the effort despite the fact that your name should remain.

Upside is, save the mp3 or cd or emails or whatever, if commercial success hits you have options.

If you legit cowrote the song and you were put the copyright form or left off of it, then it hits, now you really have something.

Not being attributed for your playing on a recording is low but not much else.

My suggestion: if this is an indie project, feel free to make up some CDs of it with the proper credits so you can have something for your own promotion or enjoyment.

Sorry for the long post. Hope some of it helps.

JRA and Pumpkin like this.
  3. Pumpkin

Pumpkin

May 19, 2016
    Washington, DC
    It does help, thanks. I was curious what I was looking at for options. For now I'm content to let it ride because I wasted enough time on the guy as it is. It's just frustrating, you know? For context, this guy's website now claims he recorded the song in a day with just an engineer which is a rip because A) before the drummer and I worked with him he had no rhythm tracks for anything and B) the drummer and I killed it in the studio.

4. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    I got edited out of a band video. Can't offer any advice, just sympathetic commiseration.

twinjet and Pumpkin like this.
  5. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    It's the ego that needs reinforcement by having our name listed on a track credit.
    I can think of countless songs that never credited the musicians....Carol Kaye recorded
    a thousand sessions without the public credit, as did Lee Sklar and numerous others.

Sometimes it goes that way. If you really need the accolade might wanna start your own Wikipedia page and list your credits. You can't control other people though...and if the guy doesn't want to list you then it's a fight maybe not worth fighting.
    JMHO
    I once played numerous instruments on an album and when it was released my name had two full lines of instrumentation credits, compared to one instrument for the other players. Now, Yes, I did play a lot of instruments on that album....bass, banjo, elec guitar, acoustic guitar, washboard, jews harp, perc, piano, organ, mandolin, charango, even drums. But when I saw the credits I felt somewhat embarrassed and wished they'd not credited me at all. Since then, I don't even ask for listed credit. I know what I contributed and that's enough for me

wintremute, JRA and Pumpkin like this.
  6. dtripoli

dtripoli

Aug 15, 2010
    American
    Could be worse...
    4 bands I am no longer in have kept me prominently displayed on their website and videos.
    I left because the bands sucked.
    I wish they would edit me out of their crappy videos and photoshop me out of their band photos.

Pumpkin likes this.
  7. Scatabrain

Scatabrain

Dec 16, 2015
    Lowell, MA
    Oh yeah I had my playing on the net uncredited until one of the BLs left and the other guy took it all down. I don't really care that it was there but it was hypocritical for them to use recording session as a reason to boot me. I did take longer to get a couple of tracks down but me and the other BL sounded fine on the end result. Oh well. I figure they did me a favor booting me. So many stories on here about being strung along until months later when it was convenient for the band and super sucky for the ousted player. I give them credit for being upfront about it not working out.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    Pumpkin likes this.
  8. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Does it matter? Really? Probably not.

wmhill, Pumpkin and Oddly like this.
  9. LowNloud1

LowNloud1

Jun 11, 2012
    Wilmington NC
    I guess I would be curious if it was intentional. Other than that, unless it sells a million, I'd move on.

I do understand where you are coming from. It is simple courtesy to list the performers. Even hired guns. And it costs them nothing except ill-will if they don't list names.

Pumpkin likes this.
  10. Oddly

Oddly Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Unless it's costing you loss of royalties or seriously damaging your reputation, I'd let it go.
    Life's too short to be dealing with assholes.

11. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    Why would you possibly care? Who would know you've been scrubbed? Are you a famous bass player? Your bio here apologizes for having to be "incognito" so apparently you don't care that we know who you are. This seems like one of those situations where you should let it go.

12. JRA

JRA where did the time go? Supporting Member

^ !

OP: wouldn't worry about a bassline: it's what we do!

i don't ever record a bassline on anything unless i know upfront how it is likely to be used + any recompense/remuneration agreements when applicable. that said: it's really about quality control for me = i don't want $hitty baselines out there! ha!

13. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    If you need it for your resume or website, list it yourself.
    If you are concerned about money/rights management because the track is commercial and getting radio or interweb play, then sign up for SoundExchange and list yourself as playing on the track.

14. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Happened to me on a project, for a C.D. Played on two cuts got payed, but producer took credit for my bass lines. Said it was an error in credits for C.D. Left a bad taste in my mouth for sure.

15. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    When I first started teaching, students would ask me about my past bands because, obviously, they had googled me. I then contacted all former bands and had them remove my last name from everything. If it were me, I would consider your situation a blessing in disguise. Of course, you may have a job where you don't feel the need to separate the different versions of yourself. I'm weird though. I will abandon entire shopping carts of groceries if I see a student walking toward me.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    twinjet likes this.
  16. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    I am so awesome.:woot:

17. Oddly

Oddly Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    My wife, a primary school teacher, has done this!
    She'll be so happy to hear there's someone else like her!

Bodeanly likes this.
  18. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

If it ever becomes a hit single, then of such stuff are lawsuits and settlements made. Especially if the label is contacted only after 50,000 CDs were pressed and packaged and are now in the distribution channels. They will settle (in most cases as long as it's reasonable) in order to avoid a recall.

As for me, I'd just walk away. Life is too short to get into a vendetta over an uncredited bass line in one song.

19. Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use." I do not own the rights to this posting..

20. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    They are windows into our lives, man! "I wonder if Mr. Bodeanly is eating that oatmeal or enjoying his reduced sodium deli meat." I can't live like this! :crying:

Old Blastard and Oddly like this.