1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Old bass given to me (epi EB0)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BrianToska, Mar 29, 2015.

1. BrianToska

BrianToska

Jan 14, 2013
    Houston, TX
    so the drummer of my band has given me an Epiphone EB0. He says it's been sitting in his closet for over 2 years so I took it off of his hands. Hey, free is free. Any ideas on what I should do to it? Any kind suggestions on replacement pick ups? I'm open to any and all ideas.

Attached Files:

2. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Congrats!
    These are cool basses and getting one for free is even better!
    I would encourage you to take the EB on its own terms and not try to make it something it isn't. The way they handle and their sound is the polar opposite of the Fender P or J.

That big, powerful mudbucker pup and were it's placed, combined with the short scale neck, is the heart of the character of these basses. So if the pup is working then roll with it. You should be able to find a replacement stock bridge but if not there are plenty of other options so just shop around for something in your price range.
    Give it a good shielding job if it needs it, put it back together and Rock that bad boy!

jamro217 and Doctor Hugocat like this.
  3. Musky

Musky

Nov 5, 2005
    UK
    Mike Watt lookalike bass?

picture_000.

Andii Syckz and Doctor Hugocat like this.
  4. RedVee

RedVee

Dec 24, 2014
    Australia
    Nice - try it stock to start with. I have heard of people modding with the 2 pickups from the Epi EB-3, so maybe keep that up your sleeve.

5. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    I've played a friends EBO and those basses have a couple of areas for improvement. If I had gotten it for free and intended to gig it I would put a hipshot super tone bridge on it, hipshot tuners, and replace the pickup with a dimarzio model one as well as new pots and a shielding job. If I really wanted to go insane Id add another dimarzio model one closer to the bridge and have more options. You can probably gig it as is but I wouldn't.

6. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Want it to sound different, put a different kind of pickup entirely in. I'd be tempted to put an MM pickup on it. It'd be easy enough to put a P pickup in that hole, just needs a custom pickup ring to cover the hole (1/4" maple at Lowe's, black stain, and a coping saw). ;)

7. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    If I was going nuts, I'd say to myself "self, would not a pair of dark stars look and sound great on that?" - overkill for sure. :D

8. mrb327

mrb327

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Nobody Knows
    Before you cut it up or cut it open, put a decent set of strings on it and set it up properly.

Being the single pup I might go with some brighter strings or some nylon tapes.

Also come check out the SG-EB club, lots of EB0 owners that might have good suggestions for you.
    The link is in my sig at the bottom

SpanishDave, friendlybass and bholder like this.
  9. MrBassman17

MrBassman17

Dec 30, 2011
    Brewster, NY
    DSC00877.JPG What he said - DiMarzio 'One' pickup, Hip Shot bridge and La Bella flats!

TN WOODMAN and sleepyEDB like this.
  10. I say embrace the mud. Curtis Novak makes reproduction Super Humbuckers aka mudbuckers. He can wind them to your spec even. Then find a tube amp with some big cabs and crank it. This can result in a borderline spiritual revelation for some.

friendlybass and mrb327 like this.
  11. jamro217

jamro217 Supporting Member

Congrats on your new bass. If you like the sound of the bass in the Free song "Alright Now", you'd be happy to just put a bridge, a couple of knobs and a set of strings on there.

12. Eb0's are a tad to muddy for me might work out cool if you are gigging 60's to 70's stuff just not my sound dude mod it anyway you want to if it makes you happy!

13. friendlybass

friendlybass

Jul 19, 2012
    Colorado
    Dude some good flats and a setup and these things are great. Really thick sound that fills out the mix. I'd say try it stock and then try the Curtis Novak. @mrb327 runs the club for these we'd love to see you around!

mrb327 likes this.
  14. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Overkill?
    th?&id=HN.608022126720387172&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.

Nah!

RedVee, SturmUndDrang and mrb327 like this.
  15. BrianToska

BrianToska

Jan 14, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Thanks so much for all of your sweet ideas! I'm going to start getting parts for it this week. After I get it together, I'll probably check out that club ;)

mrb327 and friendlybass like this.
  16. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    "Too much is never enough!" :D