Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

OLD BASS; LOOKING FOR INFO

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by bstogsdill, Feb 25, 2006.

1. bstogsdill

bstogsdill

Feb 25, 2006
    Hi-
    I just got an upright bass- :hyper:

ENGLEHARDT
    MDL EC1
    SN17787
    Made in USA

Can anybody tell me any information regarding the date of manufacture? And a likely market price? I think it is a full size- It stands over 6 ft tall.
    No bow.

It has about 1/2 the finish sanded off, I am going to refinish it and tweak out the action and play it or give ot to my wife to play .:bassist:

The kids are working on violins and I am working on viola so maybe we can get our own chamber orchestra going someday.

Thanks in advance.

Brad

2. Welcome to TB.:) I don't have a clue as to the value or date of manufacture of your bass but I would advise you to do a good bit of research before refinishing; it can greatly affect resale value as well as tone, surprisingly enough.

3. The EC 1's are retailing for about $1700 New. I can't say for sure, but I would bet that it's a 3/4 size bass. And don't they have a laquer finish on those Basses?

4. bpclark

bpclark

Apr 30, 2003
    West Central, OH
    Englehardt took over Kay's bass business in '69. At that time Kay was making about a thousand a year. They sometimes made 2500 a year, so based on that I am guessing your instrument was made late '70s. I've got an Englehardt c1 with SN 26 and something that I think was made around 1985 or so. It's built like a tank and kind of sounds like one too. Woodwind Brasswind has got new ones for $869. If yours is in excellent condition and plays and sounds better than average then you could probably get a little more than that, but the EC1 is the cheapest model and there are a lot of them around.

5. bstogsdill

bstogsdill

Feb 25, 2006
    Thank you for the help-

I will measure the bass to see exacly what size it is and see if I can find an Englehardt website and send them a letter asking about the date of manufacture and what they sold for new.

Good news- I got $75 into it plus the cost of refinishing materials- which shouldnt cost more than $50 !

I do have one seem on the lower bout and back that popped loose- looks like it got banged - I plan to apply hide glue with a sryinge along the seam then clamp it together. All the oher joints appear intact.

I did notice the sound post was not in the usual spot that you see for a violin- it was over by the bass bar. I will probably move it back to the right spot after I verify its correct location. I think it goes under the bridge foot that is under the smallest string?

I figured for $75 I coudn't go wrong if I was willing to put enough sweat equity into it and hoped that it would be worth at least $200-300 when refinished.

I would not have chosen to refinish this bass but the prior owner has about 75% of the finish sanded off :rollno:. It was checked somewhat but from 10 steps away you would never know. I am going to pick up some refinisher and strip the rest of it off.

I dont know if it is a lacquer finish- it is opaque rather than clear and where chiped off it leaves no color on the wood. I am planning to stain the wood, then finish it with a clear varnish which will show off the wood grain much better than the old finish did.

Thanks again
    Brad

6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

http://www.engelhardtlink.com/

Engelhardt only offers 3/4 and 1/4 basses. It is all but certainly a 3/4 bass.

7. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    So long as you use a solvent refinisher, and not a stripper, with some #0000 steel wool, you shouldn't damage anything. Just dip and gently rub in small circles. There's a lot of good info in this group on putting down a new finish.

I worry more about the guy who sanded it. The plies on those things are pretty thin.

8. bstogsdill

bstogsdill

Feb 25, 2006
    My concern is that the refinisher will disolve the colored finish and finish and allow it to soak into the grain making the grain show up more. The problem is that on the areas that was sanded, there is no color left at all- like it was never finished.
    I want to try to get a nice uniform finish.

Does anybody know -will a stripper dissolve the glue that holds the bass togther? A stripper also I suppose may allow pigment to be worked into the grain bit seems like it would lift and bubble up the finish and not work it into the grain as much as refinisher.

I may have to test a hard to see place on it. I really dont want to sand the rest of it down, but that would be an option.

Thanks
    Brad