Old Bass, New neck

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by jjcarswell, Nov 11, 2019.

1. jjcarswell

jjcarswell Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2006
    Hi all,

Just wanted to post a couple of pictures of the new neck that Ben Joella hand carved and installed on my 1932 Voit & Geiger.

It sounded pretty good before the surgery but was getting hard to play so Ben suggested replacing the neck along with a new end pin & bridge and I'm glad I took his suggestion.

Since I really liked the look of the peg box and the tuners, Ben grafted that part of the old bass onto the new neck...really great work!!

I can't believe how much better the bass sounds now, bowing & pizzicato.

As to the markers, it's pitch before pride...

Next year, I hope to get Ben to install a C extension o V and G 2.jpg n this bass.
    V and G 1.jpg

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    Reiska and Keith Rawlings like this.
  2. rknea

rknea Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2007
    Queretaro, Mexico
    Outstanding!! I really like the "pitch before pride" and might have to steal that! Enjoy your "new" beast!!

3. TideSwing

TideSwing Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2014
    Congrats - love the old with the new!

4. Steve Swan

Steve Swan

Oct 12, 2004
    Burlingame, California
    Retailer: Shen, Sun, older European
    Did you change the neck configuration from Eb with a long string length to a D neck with a shorter contemporary style string length?

5. jjcarswell

Mar 19, 2006
    I’m not really sure about the answer to your question but what Ben did was measure another bass that I use and tried to get the dimensions really close. If I had to guess, you are probably correct.

6. eh_train

eh_train Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 12, 2004
    Toronto
    Owner, Stand Up Guy Basses (Repair/Sell/Buy upright basses)
    Also curious whether Ben increased the overstand (the distance between the top and the fingerboard, measured where the neck joins the body). It looks, now, like it has a healthy distance, which may not have been the case pre-surgery.

7. jjcarswell

Mar 19, 2006
    Yes he did, yes it has....It is a different bass than it was before and I am really enjoying playing it post-op...

eh_train likes this.