Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

old bass new

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by spalka621, Sep 28, 2005.

1. spalka621

spalka621

Jul 26, 2005
    Sioux Falls, SD
    okay i have two questions. the first is i want to refinish it and was wondering how to do it, this is probably on the site somewhere but im lazy/can't find it. the second is can i put a neck with 24 frets on the bass if it origionly had a 20 fret neck. thanks for the help.

2. spalka621

spalka621

Jul 26, 2005
    Sioux Falls, SD
    okay i have two questions. the first is i want to refinish it and was wondering how to do it, this is probably on the site somewhere but im lazy/can't find it. the second is can i put a neck with 24 frets on the bass if it origionly had a 20 fret neck. thanks for the help.

3. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    A refin is not exactly a job easily tackled by someone with no experience in the area. Myself, I'd send it out somewhere if I wanted it refinished bad enough.

As far as 24 fret necks go, you can NOT buy a regular 24 fret neck, it will make your bass impossible to intonate. However, I believe warmoth sells fender-style necks with an "overhang" containing 24 frets. Basically, the fingerboard extends to lie on top of the body of your guitar. It will decrease the amount of room you have for slap, etc, but it will five you the full range you want.

4. On the first question, you're right - it IS on the site somewhere but I don't want to take the time to do a lazy persons work.

On the second question, it's on the site too but I'll do you a big favor and let you know that the answer is a resounding no.

Hope this helps