old bass on ebay

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Dave Irwin, Dec 24, 2002.

1. If you want to buy this thing and pick it up yourself, wear scuba gear; 90 miles east of Philadelphia puts you somewhere in the Atlantic Ocean.

How does he know it's a real "Triolion" bass? Triolion basses are made of titanium, aren't they?
  2. mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Some of those photos make it look as if the finish was stripped off the bass. In fact, it reminds me of my sister's old guitar that she tried to refinish using a caustic stripper. Melted the bindings right off. The remarks about the buyer restoring it make me wonder, too.
  3. I just baught a bass or i'd be more interested. I thought maybe someone living in the area might want check it out. (fishmerman maybe....)

If it is a great old bass, and they knew what they were talking about, I'm sure it wouldn't be going for 800.00 at this point.

4. jugband

Jan 16, 2001
    I guess that would be a Tyrolean bass.

Does it show one of the cracks to be along the bass bar?
  5. jugband

Jan 16, 2001
    Okay, I guess, based on the #1 picture, that the 7th picture is showing the crack on the other side of the top, rather than along the bass bar.

Pic #7 also shows a chewed-up fingerboard, which doesn't look like ebony, though his description says it has an ebony tailpiece.

I wonder if that crack along the back runs under the soundpost.
  6. To me, that crack runs too close to the oarlock.
    Also, Triolions were those little people on a couple of episodes of Star Trek.
  7. Buddy Lee

Buddy Lee

May 5, 2002
    No, Triolions are three wildcats playing double bass, piano and sax.