1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Old Beat Up Amp Day: Ampeg VT-22: The Rebirth Begins

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by garmenteros, Oct 10, 2010.

1. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    I just got an ampeg vt-22 guitar amp for a little under 15 USD. Its trashed. Its ugly. Missing the obvious speaker enclosure. BUT, I couldnt refuse the price, and this guy has two more tube amps he wants to sell to me. I bought a 69 fender mustang in all original condition from him for 30USD a year and a half ago, so I got a good feeling. I know its going to be trashed but who knows what it'll be. I automatically brought it to my tech today. If the transformers are good, I'll make a head case for it and restore it for fun. I got the tubes lying around and time and disposable income so why not, at the end of the day I can sell it for a profit or have a nice 100watt tube amp...

Anyways the horror
    IMG_1526.jpg
    IMG_1525.jpg
    IMG_1530.jpg
    IMG_1523.jpg

Anyone have any experience with these as a bass amp?

2. hachi kid

hachi kid

Jun 2, 2008
    Austin, TX
    dude...LUCKY!!!!! I'd LOVE to have that thing!

3. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    Fantastic bass amps!

But i must admit... all that rust is somewhat scary.

4. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    Dude you got your work cut out for you. I would see if it fits in a v4 head case and put it in that. Good luck. p.s. fliptops.net it your new best friend :)

5. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    If he gives me the OK, Ill order the spare parts from fliptops.net Im crossing my fingers they are... Tommorow Ill have a couple more old tube amps... I still dont know what theyll be... Ill post them when I get a chance.

6. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    Best pics so far in any thread I've seen. Sort of like back to the future...Ampeg Heaven....................Good luck .....:cool:

7. WingKL

WingKL

May 12, 2007
    Cool find. Looks like it was salvaged from a shipwreck. You may want to try electrolysis to clean up the chassis.

8. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    Dude that thing is NASTY looking, but hey, it's gonna look good.

Most vintage cars look pretty bad, but with time and money, they can win shows. Good investment dude.