Old Blood Noise Endeavors - Dark Star Reverb Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jimbowhit7, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Jimbowhit7

Jimbowhit7

Mar 5, 2018
    Ordered this off Reverb last week, and it is awesome. It's a pad reverb with three settings, the delay setting is beautiful on bass. I'll post a demo of it later when I have time, I just wanted to go ahead and run my mouth (or fingers, rather) about how much I love this thing. It's great at making an "atmospheric" sounding effect that makes everything you play feel so much more spacious.

Dark Star.jpg

Nick von Nick and baSfo like this.
  2. Jimbowhit7

Jimbowhit7

Mar 5, 2018
    Update: used it for the intro on this instrumental, for those who may not know what this pedal can do.

3. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Old Blood makes some amazing pedals. I haven't tried this one, but I used the reflector for a good while. I want to get my hands on the Alpha Haunt fuzz.

4. Jimbowhit7

Jimbowhit7

Mar 5, 2018
    I want to get an Alpha, too - the mix knob seems like it would be really useful for bass, and I like the dual modes it has. Both modes sound nice, but I've heard the "tamer" one be used to get more of a distortion than fuzz sound, and I really liked that setting on it. I'm incredibly happy with the Dark Star, too; it's definitely an amazing pedal. The build quality is awesome, it's surprisingly versatile, albeit weird, and the overall sound of it is just gorgeous.

5. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Had one a while back. Fantastic pedal.

6. Jimbowhit7

Jimbowhit7

Mar 5, 2018
    Absolutely - I'm amazed more people aren't talking about it. Compared to other reverb pedals it's not terribly expensive, especially used, and in my opinion it's so much more unique.

7. Jimbowhit7

Jimbowhit7

Mar 5, 2018
    I decided to try out the Dark Star with some other pedals today, and I'm immensely pleased with the results:

Spectrum likes this.
  8. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    Nice sounds in those clips. Forgot I had one of these; found it and searched to read what others thought about it.

I liked some of its sounds but for me it didn't stick as I preferred the comparable EHX offerings.

It loses a lot of low end, and the lack of an option to have the effect tail off when disengaged is a huge mistake.

Another big issue for me is that it's quieter than my dry signal. Just realized there's an internal trim for that, so I'll boost the output and revisit the pedal.

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  9. TheMaynorD

TheMaynorD Gold Supporting Member

Aug 28, 2013
    Oklahoma City
    I had one for a while. Great ambient pedal. I did find that it sucked my low end out a bit, which is why i switched to a Keeley Caverns. Still a great pedal though

10. Jimbowhit7

Jimbowhit7

Mar 5, 2018
    For me, the low end issue is negligible, though the fact that it's not a buffered by pass that allows the effect to trail off is kind of annoying. I really love the sounds I can get out of it on guitar and bass, though.

11. Yeah I read quite a few reviews saying it sucked the low end and was quiet... considering it was up against the walrus audio fathom and the oceans 11 for their pad/ poly settings I ended up going the ehx route. Nice use on those instrumentals though!!

12. Karlo.kc

Karlo.kc

Dec 16, 2008
    Croatia
    Hey! How bad is low end loss?
    I'm thinking about selling my Afterneath and getting Dark Star instead.

13. Jimbowhit7

Jimbowhit7

Mar 5, 2018
    In my opinion, the low end loss is virtually nonexistent, and it's a gorgeous reverb with some crazy settings.

Nick von Nick likes this.
  14. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Just be sure you get a v2 Darkstar. They basically fixed the low end loss that v1 had.

15. Nick von Nick

Nick von Nick Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2014
    NY
    Apples and Oranges. I would hang on to the Afterneath. I have both pedals, and I find that the Afterneath can be quite subtle if I dial it in correctly. It's become my always-on 'verb for a slight bit of saturation/air. The Dark Star has a distinct sense of bravado about it that lends itself to larger washes with long, sustained decay. They are both beautiful pedals, but they are different animals.

Best,
    ~NvN

Jimbowhit7 likes this.
  16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 26, 2022