Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Old creaky blues sides...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by BehindTheMoon, Jun 24, 2003.

1. I went CD shopping today, and came back with Robert Johnson and Blind Lemon Jefferson... Damn! I should get more - I'm keeping an eye out for Son House, Rev. Gary Davis and the like.

Anyone else like this stuff? Kinda makes Zeppelin, Cream et al seem a bit like noodly wusses, doesn't it?

2. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    'tis where rock and roll started. Good stuff.

Check out Big Bill Broonsy. Judging by the blues players you listed you'll really dig him.....very rootsy.

Speaking of Zep, et al, Willie Dixon and Muddy Waters were "borrowed" from quite a bit by the early rock greats. The originals are almost invariably much better.

3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I have several of those performers in my CD library too. It is fun to listen to, but I don't like it hour after hour. Try some Elmore James and Mississippi John Hurt. Also the two blues harpists, Sonny Boy Williamson I and II.

Other very early blues sounds you might enjoy are the early jug bands and even earlier are the slave field hollers from which blues descended. An early woman blues singer was Big Mama Thornton.

There are some box sets that feature the earliest recorded blues. It makes for very interesting lsitening.