1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Old dog learning new tricks - and unlearning some too.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by IvanMike, May 12, 2010.

1. DJS

DJS

Feb 10, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    You sound like you've completed the most difficult step already, and that's opening yourself up to learning.

I just finished a second degree - and while almost bashing my head on the desk in a Stats study session, the professor, younger than me, stated calmly that the pain of learning actually _is_ the learning taking place.

So every time you fail to play the notes right for the 15th time in a row, and are not feeling great about it, you're actually trying, and once you feel that pain, a breakthrough is usually imminent.

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    haha! don't feel bad. you probably know a lot more than you thought you did but didn't have a name for it or weren't able to express it. If you've been playing that long you know some theory (or a lot) but just know it in a bizarre made up way. And don't get me started on the staying out late stuff! When I was 18 i used to play a gig on friday, work all day saturday, gig that night and party till sunday afternoon. Now if i play a gig on friday (which i usually do) I'm not right till sunday afternoon! :D

3. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    thanks. what was i thinking spending the last 5 years brushing up on cosmology and quantum mechanics? (really). didn't help my slapping one bit! And FWIW, learning doesn't hurt at all.....doing something wrong, again.......as you mentioned.......that hurts. Somehow it didn't bother me as much at 18..........:p

4. blakelock

blakelock

Dec 16, 2009
    yet another ~old dog learning new tricks here.

i have to say that as long as i've got a gig coming up or a session with other musicians, it really helps me get inspired. when things slow down and it's just me and the metronome for a few weeks, i definitely get bored.

playing along with CDs and internet radio stations is pretty fun too. actually, we get a weather channel in VA that constantly plays contemporary jazz/electronic/dance. my wife and i make fun of it every time we pass the channel but it's a blast to jam to. :cool:very easy.

5. rhettro

rhettro

Apr 16, 2010
    Count me in. Maybe there's a new club here... "Old Dog New Tricks Club". :)

I'm 40. I can't remember exactly when I put the bass down but it was somewhere around 15-20 years ago I guess. I'm self-"taught", but now that I think about it, I didn't really teach myself anything other than bad habits. :) I play by ear and played in a number of gigging bands back in the day.

My biggest issue at this point after playing for a few weeks is that my RIGHT hand technique isn't so great. When practicing, I have a hard time alternating my index and middle fingers when moving up and down the strings. I know I need to work on this to improve speed and dexterity in order to improve as a player. So far, it's been a challenge to concentrate on my right hand when all I ever really paid attention to was the notes I was fretting with my left. ugh.

Almost forgot to mention... I'm learning new tricks from this guy: http://www.seanandrewsbass.com/ After two online lessons, I'm giving Sean two thumbs up. He's listening to what I'm saying, watching what I'm playing and providing great lessons to improve on my weaknesses.

6. blakelock

blakelock

Dec 16, 2009
    agreed! our member # could be something like
    age+years not playing+#of basses purchased since restarting!!

that makes me member #52

i found 2 great exercises for this that are actually kinda fun.

from marloweDK
    muted 16th note exercise (start it slow then build up...it's also a sweet jam)

and from the TB forum
    "Keep strict alternation between your index and middle fingers. below d=index and u=middle.

E: dudu A: dudu D: dudu G: dudu
    G: dudu D: dudu A: dudu E: dudu

Then do three picks for each string:

E: dud A: udu D: dud G: udu
    G: dud D: udu A: dud E: udu

Notice for this one that you are constantly attacking the next string with the opposite direction as the previous string?"

7. rhettro

rhettro

Apr 16, 2010
    Thanks for sharing that info blakelock. I practiced a few exercises last night and noticed some improvements!

I guess my number in "old dog / new tricks years" is 57. :) However, with additional basses on the way (would like a short scale and a P), that number could increase rapidly!

8. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    cool, that makes me 42 - never stopped playing - :cool: