Old Dream Theater footage; or, John Myung shreds on a Stingray

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Hamlet7768, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

Jun 5, 2011
    So I found this video a moment ago, a compilation of footage both about and of the Ytse Jam, Dream Theater's first instrumental. There's rehearsal footage and footage from shows spliced together. For the first segment of the song, John Myung is pretty inaudible, but in the second he's pretty audible, even more so when he takes his solo. He shreds it up!

As a bonus, you get a few good looks at Myung's Stingray, the hallmark of his sound pre-Images and Words and pre-sixers. Still can't identify the pickup he added, but you can definitely see it. Looks like a soapbar of some kind. For those who don't know, he ran the bass stereo a la Geddy Lee, Chris Squire, and Billy Sheehan, with the neck pickup going to a clean rig and the bridge to the effected rig.

Pretty cool stuff if you're a Dream Theater fan. At least I thought so.

EDIT: :eek: Hang on a tick...that monster has THREE pickups! Or do my eyes deceive me again?

osv likes this.
  2. AlexBoatman

AlexBoatman

Jun 23, 2015
    Im guessing the two humbuckers in the bridge and neck position are just standard Music Man humbucking with Alnico magnets. But any idea on what the split coil in the middle position is????

3. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

Dec 25, 2011
    Canada
    Yeah he used a heavily modified Stingray 4 strings ( 3 pickups ) for Majesty/Dream Theater first album and probably on Images&Word even though on some songs it is clearly at least a 5 strings or maybe is first used of his Tung 6 strings which was heavily used on Awake before he switch to Yamaha

4. songwriter21

songwriter21 Involved with two girls. Cirrus and Milly. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    @Clef_de_fa

Supposedly, he used his 4-string Spector on the entire album. Maybe he drop-tuned a bit, possibly just on the E?

Element Zero likes this.
  5. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

Dec 25, 2011
    Canada
    Maybe, on "Learning to live" he plays a low D at one point, this one probably a D-tuner. And in one part of "Take the time" sounds like he goes very low it may be just a wierd effect

6. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    @Clef_de_fa

Yep, that LTL part instantly came to mind...during the Spanish guitar part? Not sure about TTT, though....

7. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

Dec 25, 2011
    Canada
    Yeah exactly the acoustic or classical guitar part.

In Take The Time I talk about the part right after the bridge where they play all together the same line. After that you have a key and guitar solo, uring that part he hits some low notes unless this is an effect created by the keys

8. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Hmmmm....

9. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    That's from I Can Remember When, a cool documentary about the band's early days. You can hear how painful Dominci was on some of that stuff. I don't know why they wrote vocal melodies the guy could barely pull off or not pull off at all.

I never liked how that shredding part sounded in that clip. Just messy and not nice. Hell of a bassist though.

Element Zero likes this.
  10. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    There's a bunch of footage of them recording Images & Words on YouTube. I remember Myung playing the Spector on...I think Learning to Live. I didn't know he used for the whole album. His tone became very wimpy and boring when he started playing 6-strings back in the day.

11. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    @Herrick

Just my opinion, as I think his tone on Falling Into Infinity was hands-down his best. Look up the isolated tracks, they're unbelievably nasty, especially Lines in the Sand and Trial of Tears.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
    Element Zero and bikeplate like this.
  12. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    Sorry. I meant like when he first started playing 6-strings before Awake. His tone on Awake is kinda boring and the live stuff I've seen from that era sounds weak...when I can hear it that is.

songwriter21 likes this.
  13. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Myung's clean tone on FII is probably the best I've ever heard.

14. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    I never could get into that album. For me Myung's tone stands out on Train of Thought more than any other album.

15. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    That's cool, mang. I'll check them out.

16. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    @Herrick

When the bass kicks in on Trial of Tears, it's sounds monstrous.

Herrick likes this.
  17. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

Jun 5, 2011
    Amazing. I never thought this thread would go anywhere. I agree that Myung had a great tone on Falling Into Infinity. I also liked his tone on the self-titled record. Astonishing not-so-much.

songwriter21 likes this.
  18. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    I can't even remember what his tone sounded like on The Astonishing. I've listened to that album only a handful of times since it came out.

I haven't listened to this album in while but I'm listening to it right now and I'm really enjoying it. Listening to Lines in the Sand right now Myung's tone sounds awesome in that part of Trial of Tears you mentioned. Also during the verse of Lines in the Sand. And I forgot Pinnick does vocals on there so that's a nice surprise.

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  19. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    The self-titled one's decent, but not a pure tone like FII. Systematic Chaos is my other pick for his best tone. Crazy how his sound went from incredible on FII, to absolutely HORRIBLE on Scenes...like Cliff Burton horrible, or maybe worse.

I loved Cliff, but he had terrible tone.

20. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    Me too. I think Burton sounds good on Kill 'Em All but I can't hear him enough of Lightning and Puppets enough (other than those obvious parts) to tell what he sounds like overall.

I'm not a fan of Burton's tone on the isolated tracks.

songwriter21 likes this.