1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Old Drummer needs advice.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by coldfront, Jul 26, 2017.

1. coldfront

coldfront

Jul 26, 2017
    Unfortunate, I can no longer bang on the drums all day. My tinnitus has become quite bad. I'm a heavy striker and maybe it was from the cymbals or years of abuse. I have tried out electronic drums for volume control but playing them feels so lifeless and unfulfilling.

I need to play something to feed the soul so I have decided to pick up the bass. Through the years I have played with guys who use rics.... a least until everyone chased me out into a different room for playing too loud. Love the sound the ric creates. I'm under no illusions that I can become the next Geddy Lee, Chris Squire or Cliff Burton. It makes no sense at my level of play for me to lay out the cash needed to buy a real ric. Is there a bass out there that will give me the ric sound I'm looking for? I don't care what the bass looks like. Right now I practice with a Schecter with active pickups and I can not get the sound I want. I'm not good with modding electronics...I'm a drummer I HIT THINGS.

2. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    A good passive Jazz can get you most of the way there. Listen to Geddy on "YYZ" to get a taste of what's possible.

coldfront likes this.
  3. jaybones

jaybones

Mar 4, 2015
    Kelleys Island, Ohio
    none
    +1 on a passive jazz!

Also, and I'm sure you looked into this, but what about Hot Rod sticks?

They come in various weights, and are between a brush and a stick.

coldfront likes this.
  4. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

check this out: you want a ric. so buy a used ric. if it doesn't work out, you can always flip it for nearly what you bought it for. if you're not careful, you might make a bit of money on it.

coldfront likes this.
  5. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware rep.
    Ear plugs?