1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Old EHX Bass Micro Synth for US$100- am I missing something here? TALK ME OUT OF IT!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Nic., May 12, 2010.

1. Nic.

Nic.

Aug 28, 2009
    Singapore
    Well, yeah. I saw this going locally, and it seemed suspiciously cheap to me, but everything seems fine. I'm thinking of using it to replace my Octron and I've always wanted a filter. Is this a good idea? Or am I missing something here...

2. 100 bucks is a good deal be sure it comes with the correct power supply, filtering is very useful but not quite an octron.

3. OrangeSun

OrangeSun

Jun 26, 2005
    Boston, MA
    you can get real nice synth tones out of that box, i used to own it, def worth 100 bucks.

The older ones didnt have true bypass, but they switched it to TB before they changed the body I think. Either way, for 100, its worth it if it works.

4. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    The old one I've played through had some serious tone suck on it's bypass mode, and a built in 3-prong plug. Still worth a hundred bucks, because you can make some insane sounds with it! You might need to get a bypass pedal/looper though.

5. tigerbass

tigerbass

Jul 28, 2006
    Crown Point, IN
    For that money, if it is good shape you could get it, send it to Analogman and have him do all the mods for true bypass, fix the LED so it only lights up when pedal is engaged, and still come out way ahead! He did those mods to mine a long time ago and I absolutely LOVE it. I just think they kill they the new 9v ones!

6. Nic.

Nic.

Aug 28, 2009
    Singapore
    That's pretty cool to hear.... photos show the original EHX power supply, I've a spare 3PDT lying around that I could probably fit in. Since I stay in Asia it's gonna be pretty expensive to send to Analogman just for that, I'll probably either DIY or get one of the local shops here to do it- and see if I can do anything to make that power supply more convenient at the same time.

Bassbrad- It's not good for octaves? As in, the sound is not good, or it doesn't track well?

7. I think he's saying that the BMS isn't an Octron with filtering. It sounds awesome and tracks as well as any analog octaver IMO, but won't sound exactly like the Octron if you're looking to have the BMS replicate it (I think he likes the Octron better for octave up/ down).

8. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    The BMS is great, but wouldn't be my choice as an octaver in particular, more for the whole package or even just the filter section. They track well and sound pretty good, but if you're in love with your Octron you may find them lacking on their own. (i just used the filter section and ran an OC-2 into my BMS's, for instance)

Fortunately you may not even need the spare 3PDT laying around-- if you have the know-how, the more recent big box macro synth's have the 3PDT's in them already(ie within the last 10years or so, give or take) so all you have to do is rewire it TB. Here's a thread with the details:

BassMacroSynth DIY TB mod

9. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    The BMS is a great pedal, I've got two of them (although I've had four in all).

Also the older 24v model with the lousy bypass sounds much better than the newer true-bypass 9v model, so don't consider that a negative point. I sold my old one for a new one and ended up selling the new one again and buying another old one, I really was not impressed with it.

10. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    I'm not hearing much of a diff between the older/newer versions, but I didn't have them at the same time to A/B.
    $100 is a great deal on a BMS; I say do it!

11. faceinbass

faceinbass

Apr 20, 2008
    KCMO
    HIT!!!!!!!!!!!

12. I like the octave sounds on the BMS a lot but they are unique and don't sound like anything else. Tracking is fine you just have to get the input set right and develop the right touch, once you get a feel for the BMS there are a lot of possibilities.