Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Old Ernie Ball coated strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by grooveguru, Jan 19, 2001.

1. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Does anyone out there remember the Ernie Ball bass strings with the red plastic coating on them? Would have been back in the early 70's. I guess I showing my age here!!!

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I seem to remember having seen red tapewounds or something like that. I also had a set of strings once that had an extruded nylon coating, rather than being tapewound. I don't remember what brand they were, but I sure don't miss them.

3. Yep, I remember those strings, last year an older blues musician who plays a fretless P-bass almost cried when we told him that those strings haven't been made for over 20 years, he had a broken D string, it's always a D string.
    He plays it through an old Ampeg B-18 and the tone is big and round.
    We even called Ernie Ball on the outside chance that they had some and the old man himself was the only one there who remembered those strings but no luck.
    He wound up getting some Labella Nylon Tapewounds and his comment was "they're too #$@@ damn bright, but in 10 years or so they'll sound sweet".