Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Old-fashioned Tuning Keys

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by MacDaddy, Dec 14, 2002.

1. MacDaddy

MacDaddy

Jan 26, 2002
    Provo, UT, USA
    Hey I just bought a new bass from Hammond Ashley on Friday and it had these old-fashioned tuning keys, you know, the one's with the huge wooden knob thing coming out of the side. What are these called and what's the purpose of the huge wooden thing? I know I'm going to get some questions in Orchestra practice, just want to be prepared. Thanks!

2. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    They are called tunners like the other kind.

They are for looks.

in the old days a bass had tunning pegs like a violin some folks like the way they look -- I do depending on the bass. Makes the bass look old fassion. You see a lot of them on old German flat back bass'

Joe

3. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    They're actually warning devices. When you've played four hours of Thump, Rest, Thump, Rest, and you start nodding off, those suckers pound you right in the temple and get you back in the swing. Be careful, as the tendency is to rush when awakened...

4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    :p Arnold, that's exactly what I did to myself last month, while sitting in, playing a friend's knob-infested bass. Woke me right the hell up.