1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Old Favorite

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Sunday morning was hectic. I woke up with about 20mm of water standing in half of my den courtesy Hurricane Ike. After pumping out the water with a wet/dry vaccum cleaner, I go ready for church since I was playing. I got there just a smidge late and did not have time to set up my Sadowsky outboard for my Fender Jazz V and grabbed my 55-02 instead. I know the older 55-02s get crticized for having that dark Bartolini tone, but that tone kills for alot of music!:D The youth choir is doing a version of "An Awesome God" with a sort of semi-hip hop/Middle Eastern beat, and that 55-02 really worked well on it. The song went over so well we played it twice.

I am a child of the seventies, and I love bright, trebly bass tones whether it is Chris Squire, Geddy Lee, Marcus Miller, or Mark Adams (Slave.) The fact is, however, that the instrument is bass, and sometimes the bottom should be emphasized.:)

2. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Cheese: sorry for your trouble...rest assured you're not alone.
    I wasn't the only guy at Home Depot when they opened, shopping for "the biggest Shop-Vac I could lay hands on."

I didn't get it as bad as you, but I got it twice in 10 days between Ike and Gustav.
    Nuttin' like folks down in Texas got tho, jeez....

Back on topic:
    Sadowsky stainless rounds really wake up a Bart loaded 5502. I dig it.

3. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Thanks for the kind words. I will give the Sadowsky stainless rounds a shot.:)

4. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    It's not a party til there's pics:
    5502body.

5. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Sorry to hear about the flooding, Cheese. :(

About two years ago I woke up one morning after some really heavy rain and went down to my basement to grab a bass and when my foot hit the carpet at the bottom of the stairs, it went squish. :eek: I raced into my music room/theater and was relieved to see that I had left all my basses out on stands, and as a result they had escaped damage. We had to replace a fair amount of carpet, but we were lucky. Even my African history book collection was saved by the bookshelves having been elevated by just a few inches. We improved the drainage around our house and it seems to have fixed the problem.

Glad you discovered an old friend as a result. My old Steinberger has pretty much passed my Sadowsky and my Reverend as my #1 gigging bass as a result of an experiment in just trying it out on a gig. The clarity is just jaw-dropping.

6. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Prolly time to sell that BH5 then...

:bag:

7. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Here it is again!

8. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

LOL. It's pretty much always safely up in my upstairs living room where I can stare at it. :D

Nice pics of that 55-02!

9. puff father

puff father Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Endicott, NY
    Really sorry about the water, Cheese.

However...

...??? Middle eastern beat? You have me stumped. Al I can hear in my head is some guy singing from a minaret (sp?) but I can't pick up the beat.

Must be quite an arrangement!

Al

10. Surely you don't mean "Awesome Allah"; "Our Allah is an awesome Allah, and he reigns, from heaven above..."

11. "...with wisdom, power and love..."
    :p

12. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    Dr. Cheese,
    Sorry about the flooding, but sounds like the service was a good one!

Okay to thread hijack a minute? Found several posts by you from "back in the day" praising the Squier Precision Special Five. Trying to decide between it (still a few new one around at pretty good prices) and the Deluxe Jazz Active Five. You still have a good opinion of the Special, or would you go for the Deluxe?

Thanks (and that is a beautiful bass you just posted.)

13. tapp01

tapp01

Apr 10, 2008
    Wilmington, NC
    I couldn't agree with that last line more. Tone is subjective of course, but I prefer my bass lines to emphasize the lower end of the spectrum. So much so, that I just traded my Yamaha BB404 for an Epi T-Bird. The T-bird's got low end in spades and a very little high end. And that just the way I like it.

I am orry to hear about those who are going through hurricane troubles. Usually 2-3 direct hits a year are guaranteed here is coastal NC. Even though we have been blessed here, my heart goes out to those less fortunate.

14. Rev.Dr.

Rev.Dr.

Oct 4, 2007
    Metro Atlanta
    Doc. sorry to hear a bout the flooding. I'm glad that you and your family are ok. My 55-02 has become my #1 bass. Reading posts on TB can cause some serious GAS! But it's funny how many of us eventually go back and pick up "old familiar friends" just to find out that old bass still has a solid feel and sound. Heck, I might go back to my old short scale Sears and Roebuck bass from 1975.

15. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If the price is even, get the Deluxe Jazz Active Five. If the Special is cheaper by at least $60, it is a great buy.

16. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If you are familiar with Peter Muller, think of some of his grooves like "Eastbound" or "Cairo," and you will get a better idea of what the tune is like.:cool:

17. I've been using the Sadowsky SS XL's on my 55-94 for a couple years now with the Barts. It DOES sound great. Just enough modern zing in the strings to compliment the as people say "darker" tone of the Barts.

18. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    +1 to that. I tend to stay down low most of the time because I agree with that whole-heartedly. :cool:

Hope you didn't wind up with too much damage from the water.

19. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Thanks everyone for concern about flood damage. It wasn't too bad. We caught it before the whole room got soaked (and my Markbass combo could get ruined:eek:) and got about 90% of the water up. We have been running the fan and opening the windows to dry things out and avoid mildew.

The issue of staying low on the bass has really made me think. The treble of my youth has really become passe' and low bass is back with a vengence! I heard some of the new Raphael Saadiq and the dude sounds like Jamie Jamerson Jerry Jemmott.:)

20. I'm trying to stare at your BH5 but that avatar pic is tiny! Got any bigger ones?