Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

old fender basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jesse55, Sep 27, 2002.

1. jesse55

jesse55

Jul 3, 2002
    if i were in the market for an old fender, say a 60's or 70's how much would a decent one cost me?

2. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    It really depends on a lot of things. You could pay anywhere from $700 on up to 2 or 3 grand. Anything pre 70's is going to be expensive and hard to find. If your looking for a mid to late 70's P or Jazz you could definitely find one for less than a thousand. Basses made in that era are easy to find. Condition and playability on these basses vary greatly from instrument to instrument. For example, I own a 72 Jazz and a good friend of mine owns a 73. His bass is much heavier, and has a darker tone than mine. The necks are also very different. Check out EBay or bassnw.com for some vintage stuff.

3. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    A big factor, too, is whether the bass has been modified. If you can stand a refinished one, or onewhere the pickups have been switched out, then the prices come down considerably.

4. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    there is a '78 p-bass that i know of. refin. not vey good, white. maple fingerboard. the pickgaurd isn't a exact fit.
    but only $600! it plays really nice

steve

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Plus, are you after a "real" Fender (as I call them; pre-CBS before Leo left the shop), or a CBS???

I lost my nice pre-CBS Precis in a plane crash not long ago. The insurance settlement was well over $3k. Look at CBS Fenders and you'll see the prices plummet downwards.

This `58 looks like a honey and is going for $4k -

[​IMG]

www.basspalace.com has some advertised as pre-CBS. I personally think their pricing is sky high for them ($7k for a nice pre-CBS Jazz??? :eek: ). Plus, I'd spend the $45 or so to have vintage expert George Gruhn at www.elderly.com check one out before I bought a pre-CBS and document it if was all pre-CBS.