old fender basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jesse55, Sep 27, 2002.

1. jesse55

Jul 3, 2002
    if i were in the market for an old fender, say a 60's or 70's how much would a decent one cost me?
  2. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    It really depends on a lot of things. You could pay anywhere from $700 on up to 2 or 3 grand. Anything pre 70's is going to be expensive and hard to find. If your looking for a mid to late 70's P or Jazz you could definitely find one for less than a thousand. Basses made in that era are easy to find. Condition and playability on these basses vary greatly from instrument to instrument. For example, I own a 72 Jazz and a good friend of mine owns a 73. His bass is much heavier, and has a darker tone than mine. The necks are also very different. Check out EBay or bassnw.com for some vintage stuff.
  3. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    A big factor, too, is whether the bass has been modified. If you can stand a refinished one, or onewhere the pickups have been switched out, then the prices come down considerably.
  4. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    there is a '78 p-bass that i know of. refin. not vey good, white. maple fingerboard. the pickgaurd isn't a exact fit.
    but only $600! it plays really nice

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Plus, are you after a "real" Fender (as I call them; pre-CBS before Leo left the shop), or a CBS???

I lost my nice pre-CBS Precis in a plane crash not long ago. The insurance settlement was well over $3k. Look at CBS Fenders and you'll see the prices plummet downwards.

This `58 looks like a honey and is going for $4k -

www.basspalace.com has some advertised as pre-CBS. I personally think their pricing is sky high for them ($7k for a nice pre-CBS Jazz??? :eek: ). Plus, I'd spend the $45 or so to have vintage expert George Gruhn at www.elderly.com check one out before I bought a pre-CBS and document it if was all pre-CBS.