Old Fender Flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by FirewalZ, Apr 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    I was rummaging through my "old string" box and came across a set of Fender flats...they have brass colored ball ends, no silk at the top and green silk at the bottom. Doing some research, I see Fender changed these a few years back. Does anyone know how or if the older versions sound compared to the newer version?

2. I have no personal experience with the old Fender flats, but according to what I've read, they're more "old school" (ie darker and thumpier) than the current ones - more in line with the La Bella DTF and GHS Precision Flats. Also, it is my understanding the old ones were quite a bit stiffer than the new ones.

Yahboy and trothwell like this.
  3. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Alot more darker and stiff but huge sounding.
    Punch galore.
    I love them.

4. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    I measured them with a micrometer, they are a lighter gauge but still very stiff.
    They have a bit more bite and edge to them that my Labella 760FL's.

5. hopeless_opus

hopeless_opus

Apr 2, 2012
    Maryland
    I played the old formula for a bit years back. They are CRAZY stiff, but sound great, imho. I've been playing the newer ones recently and while I preferred the tone of the old ones, I MUCH prefer the feel/flexibility of the new formula. They are somewhat brighter than the old ones, but have some nice mids. The tension/stiffness isn't much more than a comparable set of rounds.

michael_t likes this.
  6. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    Thanks....bumping to get a few more replies..

7. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    Sounds like the cables I used to use back in the early 70's ... back before my arthritis set in ;)

8. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    To me, the old Fenders have a more "woody" tone, and the new Fenders have a more "growly" tone.

Everyone wants to talk about any particular string as being "classic," but over the years the old Fender strings have been the foundation of more records than all other strings combined.

michael_t likes this.
  9. Carol Kaye, for example, was mainly a Fender Precision player back in the 60s. The story has it that she never bothered to change strings on her bass; instead, every time she needed a new set of strings, she would simply go get a new bass with new strings. It would be safe to assume the Fender basses came with Fender Flats back in those days.

10. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    This is a good description...Although they are a lighter gauge, the tension is fairly high and have a very 70's woody sound to them. Big low end with a gindy edge to them. I also found another identical set...i'm keeping them for sure.

iiipopes likes this.
  11. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    If you want the closest thing to Fender's original flats as manufactured by V.C. Squier in Battle Creek, Michigan, you will want to get GHS Precision Flats.

michael_t likes this.
  12. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    I was just about to ask this very same question....are there any flats on the market that are close to these. I really did that classic hollow woody grind i'm getting. Ill give the GHS a whirl.

Linnin likes this.
  13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021