1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Old Fender P Necks (A, B, etc)???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Can someone tell me the difference in dimensions, radius, etc between the old "A" and "B", etc necks on P basses? Many thanks ;)

2. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Give me a minute, I'll send you a link with all the different Fender neck shapes. :)

They all had the same 7.25 radius. Here is a link from Fender

3. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    A= 1 1/2" at the nut. Jazz size neck, not common on P's but not unheard of either.

B= 1 5/8" Standard size for P's since the late 60's

C= 1 3/4" Standard for P up until the late 60's

Radius on Vintage Fenders is 7 1/4"

4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    It is worth mentioning that the C neck, at least the pre-CBS examples I have known, were somewhat thinner, front to back, than the A or B necks.

5. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston

I think that's going to depend on the era.

My 64 is fairly slim front to back. I've played earlier ones that were still C necks, but noticeably thicker.

Neck shape is a totaly different deal.

U, C, D, V etc.

I'd call my 64 a D shape, and my new American Standard a C shape.

6. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    Absolutely. The "C" neck on my '64 Precision is considerably thinner than modern necks, and consequently, a lot more comfortable. I wish that Fender would bring that neck back!

7. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Oh Yes! The closest I have felt was a '62 MIA RI. The 50's classic hints at it. What have you observed? :hyper:

8. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    +1

I have in mind the 63/64 period, but you are certainly correct. :bassist:

9. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    My '64 is slim. I had the bass set up again yesterday by my luthier for a roots recording project I've been hired to play on, and that neck is just a dream to play. I've had this bass since 1980, and for years it was my main axe. I have played this neck so much that I have worn through the nitro right down to the wood, and that area of the neck now feels like polished bone. Believe it or not, out of all my basses, the one that comes the closest in feel to the '64 neck is my Carvin LB75, the difference being that the Carvin's shoulders are a little more pronounced.

On another note, I had my Valenti 5'er set up with a 1.75" nut width, as that is what that Fender has. My luthier has offered to make another neck for the Valenti using the shape and width of the '64 neck, expanded down to the heel to accommodate the 3" neck pocket of the Valenti. After playing the Fender last night on the session, and hearing how HUGE it sounds in the overall mix, I think I'm gonna pull that trigger.