1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Old "friend" back in my life.. Mixed feelings on this..

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by LKdubby, Sep 23, 2008.

1. LKdubby

LKdubby

Nov 2, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I got a friends request on myspace the other day.. It was from this guy I knew and haven't seen or heard from in close to 12 years.. I've had ups and downs with this person and we used to be roommates close to 16 years ago..

I have a lot of mixed feelings about accepting him back in my life because he's done some really selfish low down things in the past that I have a hard time forgiving him for. Not to mention I don't know if he's really changed/matured or not after all this time and I'm worried about having to put up with some stupid S*** from him again..

After internally debating what I was going to do I decided to go ahead and "accept his friends request" tonight, and I wrote him a message afterwards.. I was cordial in my message and only briefly mentioned that I have some resentments from past happenings, but moved on and didn't write paragraphs of "blame material"..

I had thought about not accepting his friend request and simply ignoring him, but felt like that might be a spineless approach and figured that I'd probably have to deal with him sooner or later.. I hope I made the right choice by opening up the communication with him again..

We've had fun times in the past, but also MUCH negativity revolving around our acquaintance with each other.. At this point in life I've been working hard on bringing more positivity into my life with my own outlook on the world and also my view of myself, and also in the people I surround myself with.. I just hope this isn't a step backwards for me..

I guess I'm just going to have to feel it out, and if my "friend" is still full of negative drama and brings that to my table then I'll have to cut off contact again and do that ignoring thing I mentioned.. :meh:

Thanks for letting me share.. I just needed to express this somewhere and this place is as good as any right now..

Opinions or suggestions on approach are welcome!

Thanks again!

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I'm sorry, but I found it hard to take the situation seriously when it revolves around a myspace friend request. I think you are safe. Myspace is not the real world, you can confine this situation to myspace if you choose (or just ignore him).

3. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    +1

4. ahkiatt

ahkiatt

Sep 30, 2006
    Singapore
    +1

5. LKdubby

LKdubby

Nov 2, 2007
    Los Angeles
    You're right, it's not a "serious situation".. And I'm not worried whether or not "I'm safe".. For the time being it is totally confined to myspace. However there is a strong chance of this guy wanting to meet up with me and I don't really feel down for that.. Just the fact that he contacted me in the first place has brought up a lot of old negative memories that I've pushed to the back of my mind and I find it aggravating.. It's for that reason that I considered not even responding to him.. But I did, and I feel like I've opened a can of worms somehow..

It's not so much about "a myspace friends request".. It's about having any contact at all whatsoever, whether that be through myspace or the real world, facebook or any other site..

6. Robert B

Robert B Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Hampton, Va USA
    Trust your instincts.

7. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Everyone doesn't have to like you. If you don't want to see this guy, say "I'd rather not meet up with you". If he think's you are a douche, so what? You think badly of him already so why do you want him to think you are nice?

8. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Just be really vague and slow with your responses. Wait a week before responding to a message and then send a half-sentence answer that doesn't really answer any questions he asks.

He'll soon stop sending them, and he'll just think you're stupid and boring rather than a jerk.