1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Old Gallien Kreuger 400RB

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gaowensjr, Aug 5, 2012.

1. gaowensjr

gaowensjr

May 25, 2005
    Mine is old...never seen one like it before. Serial #9939. It is all point to point wiring. Has seen better days but still sounds great. Will post some pics tomorrow. In my earlier days of playing I masked off the control area and back panel and gave it a coat of krylon and added a fan inside. Anyone know anything about this amp?

2. husky123

husky123

Jul 6, 2006
    Leesburg, VA
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses and Bergantino Audio Systems
    Much love around here for the 400RB including me. They are one of the consummate workhorses with killer tone. They are also reliable as a ballpeen hammer. Just killer amps that are still relevant today IMO.

3. Ever heard of bread and butter or meat and potatoes? :) They are a staple in bass amps. :)

4. I have an old 400R that I bought from a friend in the 90's for $150. I used it with a 4x10 cab for a few years. Nice sound and it convinced me to buying new GK amps ever since. I still have the head and it still works fine. I am not sure of the difference between the 400R and 400RB model.

5. It's one of the great pieces of bass gear, overall.
    I got a 400RB in '87. First night of use, it vibrated off my cab and hit concrete 5 feet down. It gigged and toured for years, was dropped numerous times, had 2 knobs and the handle vanish from the rigors of use. i gave to a gear-strapped bass brother 10 years ago and it's still kicking and sounding great.

6. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    ... if this looks different than any 400RB you have ever seen, it may be a 400B .. which preceeded the RB ...

7. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    Stewie, I have seen 400B's (as mentioned in previous thread), but never even knew there was a 400R ?... can you post a picture please?

8. IT's in storage but will take photo in next few days.
    Now that I think about it might be a 400B. I need to check.

9. gaowensjr

gaowensjr

May 25, 2005
    Contacted Brian at GK. It is actually a 400B..lol..made in 1980. Now I am trying to find a schematic, manuals etc...

Gonna dust if off and hopefully gig with it soon. I used it with a Peavey 2x10 back in the day. Handled small gigs quite well.

10. srayb

srayb

Oct 27, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    I still have a 400RB I bought used sometime around 1990 I think... :) Bought it along with a used Peavey 1516 - still play with this rig and it's never let me down. Sounds great. Loud enough for gigs as long as you're running into a 4-ohm cab (or cabs).

11. Sorry to the OP for stepping on your tread.
    Yes it is a 400B not R, sorry about that. Here is a photo. I never could find to much info on this amp.
    Fired it up today and still plays like new. I have never seen another one like this. I have no idea if it's even worth much.
    I have just been saving it as a back up head.

Attached Files:

12. If you find the manuals, specs, etc. please post a link. Sounds like we have the same amp head. Thanks.

13. I might have some schematics. Either one or both of you can PM me with an email addy. ;)