1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

old german (?) hollow body

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 40Hz_of_Love, Mar 4, 2008.

1. 323665013.

Stumbled upon it on a local online auction website. What can it be? Asking price is about 215 USD.

2. The 'burst colors look Japanese to me, but I could tell more if I saw the neck plate...the font they used on most of the Japanese instruments is pretty easy to recognize.

But at $215 US, if the neck is straight and it is playable, I'd say GO FOR IT!! The condition looks to be very nice indeed. A set of Labella flatwounds and a setup later, you'll be in hollowbody heaven.

3. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    That's a strange one. Two pickups, two knobs, no selector switch. Is it a set neck?

I have no idea what it is, but it doesn't look Japanese

4. Right Glenn, and the bridge and tailpiece don't look Japanese...I was mainly seeing the 'burst color.

The headstock doesn't look like anything I've seen, either. But I like the binding and what I can see of the instrument's condition.

5. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    And it looks a little Hofnerish around the nut and 0 fret.

I have a feeling that the little crest cut out of the tailpiece will ID it if anyone recognizes it.

A pic of the tuners might help too.

Yeah, it looks great...jump on it.

6. Picture of the backhand:

323665013_1.

The guy selling this beauty is from my city, so I think I'm gonna check if it sounds as good as it looks in a few days... :>

EDIT: A lot of old german basses have a zero fret. Kinda popular feature around there in those times, dunno why.

7. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Interesting tuner arrangement...looks like a unique patch job, but going by the appearance of the rest of the bass there was no reason to change them....I'd be surprised if it came that way, but who knows.

Is that a bolt-on neck with 2 screws? The screws look too far apart.

8. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    I'm thinkin' maybe a Framus neck on a Japanese body but who in their right mind would do that. Looks like updated pickups on this guy as well.

9. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    I think it's the original neck, and not a Framus because it appears to be 3-peice instead of plywood.

10. newfuture

newfuture

Jul 13, 2007
    If you've the cash to spare, I'd jump on it. Looks like a very fun, unique instrument. That PU placement is really close to the Ric 4005, and I've always been curious about how they sound. Given the bridge, zero fret, headstock shape, I doubt it's Japanese, though I agree about the sunburst looking Japanese. Looks German to me, or former soviet satellite country.

11. Close up of how the neck is connected to the body:

323665013_3.

You can also see that the binding isn't in its best shape.

EDIT:

Body close up:

323665013_4.

12. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    The binding coming off in that spot is a deal breaker for me. It's doing that because there's insufficient bracing around the neck pocket, so the neck want to pivot and the sides-to-top joint breaks. Damn...

Could be fixed and a good point of negotiation.

13. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    The bass pictured above was made by Migma. They were
    made in EAST Germany.

Here are two photos that i've had for quite some time of two basses made by Migma.

Because these were made in East Germany, there is very little information on them anywhere.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TD

14. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    I had a feeling you would know. Interesting stuff - some of the coolest f-holes I've ever seen..

15. It would be cool if some TBer (maybe German?) could shed some light on how well made were those Migmas.

(They sure look neat!)

16. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Those are two of the coolest basses EVER.

17. If the bass was made in East Germany the chances are that the electronics are pretty lacking, but DANG that thing is unusual! I could sure be persuaded to get it, spiff it up (get the binding back in place) and change pickups if needed. At $215 I think it would make a great project.

18. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

That violin bass has a high amount of coolness to it , to bad its not green. :(

19. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    I've only ever played two Migma basses in all my years of playing. I can tell you that the necks are narrow but very thick (front to back). The over all quality was quite good on them as well.

As for sound, they sound like your traditional thumpy bass. On the scale of cool, the Violin bass rates a 9.5 IMO

TD