Old GK 400B

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nomad25, Nov 12, 2003.

1. nomad25

Nov 12, 2003
    Raleigh, NC US
    Hello. I have a really old GK head called the 400B. It needs some repair and well, I'm still gettin to that. But, right now, I was wondering, can anybody tell me what it's worth?

2. Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    I bought a fully functional, older 400RB on the bay for $175.

Great amp!
  3. ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    Not very much. They're not all that sought after. Sorry :(
  4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The 400B preceded the 400RB, they stopped making them around 1982.

Value (if working) would be $150-200 tops.
  5. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    They have an old working model of that at the local music swap shop for $175. It's pretty dated, and really big.
  6. nomad25

Nov 12, 2003
    Raleigh, NC US
    Thank you all very much, I'm gonna fix this old head up and keep it around.

peace, nomad
  7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I have one of those myself. If you have an intermittant shorting kind of thing happening, try replacing the plug. No kidding! Those amps are very sensitive to the third leg working or not. Don't know why - don't really care for that matter but a new plug with a solid third leg solved a bizarre intermittant shorting thing with mine a few years back.

The other culprit is the connector between the preamp circuit board (with the pots, the one mounted to the front panel) and the power amp board which is the one mounted to the right hand heat sink (at least it is on mine). that was anpthe intermittant crackle/shorting kind of thing. I ran a cd player through the input, and squeezed the connectors together and voila - no shorting. Not very scientific but what the heck, eh ? I basically removed the connectors and went PTP. It took a few hours to get it but once it was done not other real issues -- except if I ever need to remove the pre-amp, it's gonna be painful as I'll have to de-solder my PTP wiring.

Hope that's helpful.
  8. nomad25

Nov 12, 2003
    Raleigh, NC US
    Big tx to 4Mal for his wise "been there done that" info. I will be putting all your advice to use!

tx again,
    this board rocks.
  9. This is an OLD thread!
    I hope ya kept it. I had mine gone through, works/sounds great!
    I shouldn't have waited five years to get it fixed ..... I bought a Carvin R1000, been having some probs with it over the years ..... I tend to use my GK 400B more and more at gigs these days.