Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Old Gut Srings?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Kevinlee, Jul 23, 2001.

1. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    Well I've given up on all that business with the magnetic pu and trying to make steel strings sound and feel like gut. I went back to my k&k and nylon strings for the moment. My question is would gut strings that are reportedly fairly old but still in original packaging be any good or would they be all dryed out by now? I'm contemplating buying a G & D but I don't know the shelf-life of Gut strings.

Thanks
    Kevin Lee

2. Put them on; what do you have to lose? If they're no good, they'll break, but they'll be no more worthless than if they're in a bag in a drawer.

3. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Did you try Jargar strings?
    They're steel, but are the most gut-like I know.
    Picato Innovation 140H (synthetic braided core) are also quite gut-like.

4. I replaced my Obligatos with Innovation 140Bs. They have a similar pizz quality but a vastly improved bowing response on th A & E strings with a significant improvement in volume. Unfortunately I have not had as much playing/practicing time as I would like in the last month to get a feel for them. Overall, I would say that they are a great improvement over the Obligatos.

Mark

5. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Ooops! That what I meant (140Bs), not 140Hs which are the solid core Hybrid model.