Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Old gut strings back to life

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Nuno A., Oct 11, 2002.

1. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    I recently went to my old gut strings bag and decided to try to put them back in business since as everybody knows, gut strings prices today are really high...
    With emery paper, i took away all the "hair" and i really made them plain...it took a while and after this job, they changed the collor a bit, they were almost white and really dry...then come the 2nd part....i put the strings in a pot with baby skin oil for 1/2 an hour..
    Then i took them out and hang them to dry.....
    1 or 2 were still dry after this treatment so, i aply more baby skin oil with a cloth an let them dry...
    Result???
    A bunch of smooth and plain gut strings...they sound great and i saved my self a lot of $...
    give it a try.
    Have a great day.

NUNO

2. I've tried boiling strings, but I found that they broke easier.

3. Matthew Tucker

Matthew Tucker Commercial User

Aug 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner: Bresque Basses, Sydney Basses and Cellos
  4. Mmmm, gut.

I like neatsfoot oil compound.

5. rablack

rablack

Mar 9, 2000
    Houston, Texas
    I presume you're thinking of BG strings. If you boil gut strings and add some garlic, onion and spices and you'll have a very expensive weak beef broth and the remains of a completely unusable gut string.

6. uptonbass

uptonbass Proprietor, Upton Bass String Instrument Co.

Oct 8, 2002
    Mystic CT
    Founder UptonBass.com
    Hope it's not a beef broth. Should be the intestine of a sheep.....either way I think you just created a new double bass recipe.

7. rablack

rablack

Mar 9, 2000
    Houston, Texas
    Doh. yes, sheep. So would that be a mutton broth?