Old guy made fun of me

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by ldiezman, Jul 25, 2001.

1. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    ok here is my sad story. I had been playing bass for about 6 months and a friend of mine told me to come play bass in the praise band at church. I said ok. bad idea. it was a nightmare. The worst part was this guy walks up to my friend and proceeds to tell him how bad I sucked. this guy is in his 40's and he was making fun of a kid. Anyway a few weeks go buy and he just walks up to me one day out of the blue and says "Jim you suck"... i was so upset. you just don't need to say that to someone unless they are being rude about something. I was being quiet trying to figure out how to play my bass. Well he set me off and instead of yelling at him, I went home and from that day I have practiced about 3 or 4 hours during a day. About 6 months go by and I'm improving a good bit. But Bob still continues to tell me how badly I suck. Finally I just give him my bass and said "bob you say you're so good why don't you show me how to play". He picks up my bass and starts to strum it like a guitar... I started to laugh and proceeded to say that my neck was warped and he couldn't get a good sound out of my bass. That was several years ago. I haven't been back to see this dude nor do I really want to.. I would enjoy walking up to him with my Baby stingray 5 wrapped around me and slamming some groove in his face... but that would just be wrong wouldn't it???? :) that is my story and i'm sticking to it. anyone else have a similar experience
  2. standard reply i always give to someone when he/she says " you suck "

is " yeah.. so did yo mamma yesterday.. whew ! :D "
  3. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    It's no biggie guy. Seriously. This is one guy in a world of billions. Play for your own enjoyment not to show off to some dude who won't care how well you play anyway.
  4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    whenever anybody has any negative comments about my playing, i silently hand my bass to them. if they can show me something, then i've grown from the experience. otherwise, they end up looking like an idiot.
  5. CYoung

Nov 30, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    My father always told me "The only way some people can make their candle look brighter is to blow yours out."

Seriously, the dude was a jerk and you handled it ok. Just let it go. When you are on stage one day nailing a groove and the audience is bouncing, you won't give a rats a$$ what he thought. Just keep having fun and enjoying what you do. God knows I am not friggin' Jaco or Tony Levin, I am your basic weekend bass hack; I play bass for fun and for me. Whether some dumba$$ thinks I suck or not is simply not a factor...

6. Still.....It would be kind of funny to find him and just blast him away with your hardest line. Then hand him the bass and say, "Okay, you do it."

I believe the French have a saying: "Revenge is a dish best served cold."

Rock on
  7. You know...
    I sometimes wish someone would come and tell me that I suck.
    Honestly. From the day I started til now, the only person who ever gave me any criticism was my brother, but that was about getting a Fender '62 jazz reissue, not about my playing.

I mean...I'd love to find someone that could tell me I suck...just so I could learn something from it. Either have them groove me to death, or solo me bored, or look like a complete and utter idiot...
    But because no one in my school really knows anything about bass, I've become the big bad bass man, and they all want to learn stuff from me like how to play that riff in Limp Bizkit's Rearranged.

Oh well. I'm sure I'll bump into that "you suck!" person some day. Or maybe I should just go to Guitar Center while I'm in the US and pretend I can't play anything, just so someone'll tell me how much I suck. :p
  8. Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    I think the guy was more like a Yoda figure: by constantly insulting you, he inspired you to practice more. So, you ended up gaining in the end. If he hadn't told you that you suck, you would have continued sucking to this day. Just a thought.
  9. Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    Ok you asked for it. YOU SUCK!
    I don't know what you can learn from reading that, but if I'm ever in Hong Kong I'll be sure to insult you in person if it makes you happy. :D
  10. JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    You sure are generous with your basses,JT.
    When I got my Jazz bass,the seller had just purchased a new P bass.When I asked him if I could try it,he said "no one but me touches my baby".
    I could understand feeling that way about a custom Conklin,but a Fender P ?

Still,your's is a wise comeback,either way YOU win!
  11. hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    No no, this would be right! You'll probably wouldn't gain anything from it, but he definitely wouldn't either!
  12. 72beetle

Jun 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Let me get this straight, JT -

If I catch up to you after a show and say 'You Suck', you're going to hand me your bass?

Free Conklin! FEETS GIT MOVIN!

13. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    this thread is so f*ckin funny!!! Especially the part about "slammin some groove in his face" with my "baby stingray 5"

i cant take it. it just sounds so funny!
  14. TheFrizzleFry

TheFrizzleFry Guest

Nov 21, 2000
    Stinktown, Pa, USA
    Nothing is funnier that the subject "OLD GUY MADE FUN OF ME" !!! I laughed my ass off reading the subject alone... ohhhhh.
  15. That my man is just what i started thinking. Sometimes we need people to cut us down. I have a lecturer who yells at everyone and says we are unemployable. But by the end of it, we would all have been built up and confident we know the stuff he is drilling into us, that we passed with this crazy mad scientist as a electronics teacher.

Its the same, he was a prick, and people like that are never satisfied, but it worked wonders for you because now you know you may have a chance at showing someone else up who may be like that in the audience.

16. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    I always look forward to that positive vibe you get at CHURCH!!! I'd have told him to "Go to hell, no seriously HELL, like with Beelzebub, as in brimstone, you know, eternity!"

Then practice practice practice, and get so good, and not only come back to blast him, but do like Tool's Schism. Then tell him his comments made you start to worship SATAN, eventually bargaining with your soul for him to grant you musical skills and sex with nasty women. Then say "thanks Father".
  17. hmm..

JT.. you suck !! uhm..can i please have the double-neck monster ? thank you :D
  18. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    :D yeah, i'll be just givin' em out to the first 8...no 9 people there. :D
  19. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Hmm... a round trip ticket from California is still cheaper than buying one of your instruments though. :)

On the other hand, when I get over there you might be jamming on an old Peavey that you had laying around just for this occasion. Then my airfare might not be so well spent. :eek:
  20. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Did anybody else notice that a man in his 40s was referred to as "Old Guy?"