Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Old homemade combo made new...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sundogue, Feb 12, 2006.

1. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    This is my old custom built combo cabinet, made new by replacing the speakers.

[​IMG]

I had some cheap Peavey 10" Sheffield speakers in it, but they were 4 ohm, 75 watt speakers and the cab was wired up as 8 ohm. I put them back in my Peavey 410 cab a while back and had been using that.

I decided to bring my combo amp back out again, but with new speakers.

I now have Eminence BP102 10" speakers in it. They are 8 ohm, 200 watt speakers, and the cab is wired up as 4 ohm. I use my Eden WT400 with it.

According to WinISD, my cab is almost a perfect match for the BP102's. And the way it sounds I would agree. The low notes are much tighter and the tone is awesome.

I can't get the volume I could with my 410 cab (for obvious reasons), but the tone is much better, and it gets plenty loud enough for the gigs I'll use it on. Which is to say, it's quite loud...enough to shake the floor and walls and give me that punch I like. I'll use it for any indoor gig (even somewhat larger rooms), but outdoors I'd need to use a different cab for sure.

The thing I noticed most between the 410 cab and this 210 combo cab is that the low notes (I only use a 4 string, so the lowest is "E") are VERY tight and well defined. The 410 made the low notes sound a bit muddy...solid, but not as well defined.

I find the Eminence BP102 10" speaker is a great replacement speaker (if your existing cab specs out), or a new speaker if one were to design a cab around it.

Many thanks to those who helped me decide on which speaker to put in my cab. I had originally thought of using the B102 (the one with the whizzer cone), but I was (thankfully) talked out of it. Note that in the pic I have a tweeter in it, but it's not wired up and I don't think I will as the cab sounds awesome as is.

2. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    I just finished mine too. I used a Behringer BX1200 tilt back cabinet, with a Delta12LF, and a WT-405 head. I'll post some pics soon. I like mine too.

3. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Cool.

Whereabouts are you located in Wis?

4. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    I'm up by Superior, by Lake Superior, way out in the woods, with the bears. In a place where i can crank all my amps and cabs wide open and nobody cares.

5. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    View attachment 29631

View attachment 29632

Here's mine. I bought the Behringer on e-bay with a fried head. Now I'll put the remainder of the pieces back on e-bay, and re-sell them. It sounds great, and the head can be slid right out for other jobs. I use it top of a 15 or my 2-12 and it cranks good volume for small jobs. Great by itself for practice and at home indoors. The exsisting holes fit the bolt pattern on top of the Eden perfectly. It must be an industry standard width, or I just got lucky. However the Behringer uses a speaker with a slighly smaller hole size than the Eminence, so opening that up a little was a tricky thing to do. But the bolt pattern of the speaker was correct, and they come with nice t-nuts and bolts in place. Wt-330 up-graded to 405 power specs, Eminence Delta 12LF, and one re-cycled Behringer BX1200 box-worked out great! 250 Watts at 8 ohms of nice Eden tone!

6. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
  7. gwx014

gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    That's So Sweet!:hyper: :bassist: :hyper:

8. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Hey Joe...I'm only a few hours away from you...in the Wausau area.

Here's an updated pic of mine...with the newly loaded BP102's and my Fender P-Bass. If I"m not careful I'll rattle all my wife's collectables off the shelf in the background! :D

Fortunately this will be going to my band's rehearsal space where I can crank it without worry.

[​IMG]

Eden tone is just killer. That's cool you could use an existing cab for it all.

9. KirkW

KirkW

Apr 16, 2006
    Casco, ME
    Can you tell me what the interior dimensions of the cabinet are? I'm also looking at using the Eminence BP102. Using WinISD, the default is a 7.9 cu. ft. box! I reduced the box size to 3.5 cu. ft. and F3 looks like about 44 Hz. Don't know if that's good or not since the low E is 41Hz.

10. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The f3 of an SVT is around 60Hz, so I wouldn't be concerned.

11. acexxxoasis

acexxxoasis

Apr 12, 2005
    I dont have a custom combo but im in watertown (1/2 way between milwaukee and madison) and I got a mesa cab :)