1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Old Hymn

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by B. Graham, May 2, 2006.

1. B. Graham

B. Graham Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    I didn't start out intending to record last night. I was A/B'ing an AT2021 (cheap small diaphragm condenser) and a Revolution Solo pick-up and ended up with a decent enough recording.

The bass is a carved Eastman VB305 with Dominant's. The mic is about 12" away from the G f-hole. I didn't really do anythng with the EQ; just a quick little recording. The Rev Solo is not in this mix.

The tune is an old hymn. I've been messing around with a number of these this last year, and have been thinking of an entire project along these lines: new and progressive (but not contemporary Christian) arrangements of old hymns with a slight "bent jazz" take on them, while maintaining reverence for the original content and intent.

http://www.30hz.net/music/What_Wonderous_Love_Is_This.mp3

Looking forward to your feedback.

2. Thanks for the ideas. I have been fooling with this tune for a while and wanted to take it beyond the basic melody. You have given me lots of food for thought.

Are you familiar with Sacred Harp (shape note) singing? Many of today's hymns have their roots in the Sacred Harp style which originated in the early-mid 19th century--Wondrous Love being one of those. The music features lots of minors and complex harmonies. You could spend years experimenting with that music.

3. B. Graham

B. Graham Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    Thanks Steve.

I'm sure you can do more with it than I. I've had too many "irons in the fire" of late with string experiments, pick-up/mic experiments, and looking for a good low-cost combo amp. I should just spend more time playing to advance some ideas and improve my technique.

I've been playing for a long time, but off and on with the upright. At my church we have a lot of different players from Duke and UNC, so we've been able to do some pretty cool chamber music arrangements of many of the old hymns. My background has encompassed a lot of avant-garde stuff. What I want to do with the hymns is to maintain reverence, but apply a little more of a modern stylistic and exploritory thing to them.

I'm not familiar with the music you mentioned, but I'll research that. In addition to this one, I've been messing with "Be Thou My Vision".

4. JazznFunk

JazznFunk

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist

5. B. Graham

B. Graham Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    Hey Bryan,

Thanks for the message. I also like "Be Thou My Vision". I haven't listened to the Haden/Hank Jones recording for a while: need to check that out again.

Hope all is well in Asheville. Where do folks play up there these days?