old Ibanez roadstar

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xv_in_nocal, Jan 26, 2005.

1. xv_in_nocal

Aug 16, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    This is the best bass forum on the net. Thought I'd finally post something. Here's my attempt at posting a pic. It's an Ibanez Roadstar bass. The body is from a 86 model and the neck from a 83. The neck plays silky smooth and in my opinion sounds like a USA Fender.

Attached Files:

• rs8.JPG
      File size:
      13.6 KB
    • rs1.JPG
      File size:
      20.7 KB
  2. I dig those old Roadstars. They DO have a very good Fenderish vibe. And I especially dig those heart-shaped machine heads!

3. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I'm not much for the heart shaped tuners, but good going - I've got a RB800, which while it does say Roadstar on it i doubt its a roadstar model...but its probably jsut as old and plays just as sweet...
  4. AAHHHH I had the guitar version in the mid eighties, it was awsome, wish I still had it :(
  5. vintageampeg

vintageampeg Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Nice pics XV.

LAST NIGHT I saw an '84 Roadstar II in my local shop and decided had to have it. It was pretty beat up, so I offered $150 for it and took her home.

Before I even changed the strings, I plugged her in and tone of that bass w/ the stock the P/J picksups played through my Ampeg B100R sounded AWESOME.

I've completely stripped it down and will spend much time cleaning up all the dirt and staining that accumulated over the years. She's white w/ a white pickguard, so there's a lot of visible staining!

I went to to WD products website and bought all new pickguard screws, bridge adjusters & intonation screws, along with pot washers & fasteners to replace all the corroded pieces. $30 bucks shipped.

I'm debating whether or not to replace the "flying V" strap nuts with regular ones - they're cool, but I'm afraid I'm going to hurt myself with those dagger like protrusions...

Anyway a very fun and inexpensive project. It's amazing this old bass will end up competing with my USA 75 RI for playing time!

6. Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    My first bass was a 1982 Fender Precision. Even as a beginner, I knew the Fender was crappy...luck of the draw and all...so I traded it for a Roadstar II identical to the original post except that it had a white pickguard. I called it the Toyota Corolla of basses...played it and played it, never had to have it worked on and it sounded good every time I picked it up. I traded it for a 5 string after playing it nearly 10 years...I wish I still had it. Absoulutely wonderful basses. I even like the funky strap pins and heart shaped tuning keys. For what its worth, I'm now rediscovering the P/J pickup configuration that worked so well for me all those years on that Ibanez.
  7. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Dig the color combo
  8. NCorder

NCorder Smoke-free since 4/3/05

Dec 26, 2002
    Dayton, OH
    I have one of those Ibanez Roadstar II basses! It's got the Fender vibe. I'm in the middle of converting mine into a lined fretless.
  9. xv_in_nocal

Aug 16, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    thanks! for the comments. The stock pickups look like dimarzios and are pretty hot for passives. The neck feels great for slapping and I got a deal on a brand new pair of EMG P/J active p/u's and may drop them in. Let me know if anyone is in interested in the old ones.
  10. chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    You didn't happen to buy that at Daddy's in Dedham did you ? I saw the same discribed bass there yesterday.
  11. Doomtrane

Feb 1, 2005
    i've got a Roadstar II, all black...
    it looks kinda the same, but has 2 soapbar-lookin p/ups. Although, it does say "made in japan" on the neckplate, and the pics shown are "Roadstar"s, not Roadstar IIs.
    Anyone have any idea of the value of the IIs? Mine plays great, i love it, but i think somethings wrong w/ the electronics, it eats batteries pretty bad. But yeah, other than that, its an awesome bass, and i'm currently trying to breathe some life back into it...
  12. vintageampeg

Feb 2, 2005
    as a matter of fact, yep it was Daddy's Dedham!
  13. chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    >>as a matter of fact, yep it was Daddy's Dedham!<<

Small world !! I picked that bass up and thought to myself "what a cool bass" That was Monday. You must have been in very shortly after that. Good to hear you like it's tone.
  14. vintageampeg

Feb 2, 2005
    I restrung it last night w/ some extra flats I had lying around. Great old-school P-bass thump. I'm gonna keep my eye out for another one of these I think!
  15. danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I have an '85 lefty that's as close to dead mint as possible. I got it with the OHSC for $160 last year on the 'bay. I may replace the J pickup with an older DiMarzio, so it still looks stock, but doesn't buzz.