Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PUNK&DONUTS, Jan 11, 2001.

1. Picked up an old IBANEZ roadster bass at garage sale for $80 Aus not bad just wondering if anyone knows what they are like as the pickup is stuffed but it's action is not bad. Also I would like to know if you could get a new pickup for it either original or something better the original looks pretty cheap and crap, much obliged for any info thanks!
  2. It would depend on the pickup configuration. I used to have an old Roadstar bass from the early '80's that had one P style pickup and one J style. I do remember that there were also versions with 2 rectangular humbuckers. The P and J pickups would be quite easy to replace, but the humbuckers would be much harder.
  3. The pickup is of a humbucker config
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

There were a lot of these about in the UK in the 80s and they were awful - the only thing worse than a Squier at the time! Now the Ibanez Musician was a great bass and about at the same time - but 5 times the price of the Roadster, I wonder why! ;)
  5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    There were different "Roadstar" models, one in particular had bound edges, a figured wood top and two soapbar pickups that seemed to be in a PJ configuration (check the polepiece pattern). Excellent "bridge solo'd" sound. I think this was a Roadstar II though there were different versions of this. They weren't all bad. Some were actually pretty nice and built well. YMMV
  6. j3b3r

Aug 19, 2000
    any differences ???
  7. Does anybody else here remember the earliest Squiers in the early '80's? I seem to remember the first batch being better than the MIA Fenders at the time. One of my colleagues at university (Terry Gowan, Larry's brother and live bass player) had an early Squier, and I remember that being one of the best Fender's I've ever played.

I also remember the older Ibanez Roadstars being okay basses. The ones they made a little later on weren't quite as good though, but the one I had was maybe an '82 or '83, and it was quite good. I also had another friend with a very nice natural ash P style Roadstar - the wood was actually quite spectacular.
  8. Sorry haven't been around so couldn't reply. I fiddled around and managed to get the pickup working and suprise the sound is actually pretty good I also took it to a guitar shop and asked the guy about it and he said he hadn't seen an antique like it for years but also said he had one when he first started out wich was similar and that it was about 81-84 when it was made so it's pretty old but the action is suprisingly good and the tone is very good I just use it as a heavy metal bass as it seems not bad for that. Thanks for your help.
  9. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    I have a roadstar II bass, which looks like a fender jazz without the pickguard...
    It's from 1982, it looks and feels unreliable, and I bought it secondhand defretted by some luthier guy...put flatwounds on it and, with some fantasy, I can play jazz on it. And reggae, cause the strings are on it for almost two years.
    Great thing.