1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

old ibanez SR 505 or new SRX 305

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Master-Blaster, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Master-Blaster

Master-Blaster

Sep 25, 2008
  2. I would save and get a new 505, or 405. But I personally get that used 505.

3. Master-Blaster

Master-Blaster

Sep 25, 2008
    btw, I play mostly metalcore, new metal, etc.

thanks!

4. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Well, the site says SR505 so I could be wrong, but I don't think the 505 existed back in 1999? I got my 495 (the 505's predecessor) back in... oh 2003?

Besides I thought all 505s had recessed input jacks on the front of the bass... even the black ones?

Somebody more knowledgeable than me should be able to correct me pretty quickly if I'm wrong.

5. Master-Blaster

Master-Blaster

Sep 25, 2008
    it existed, but it was different, it didn't have Bartolini electronics

anyone know anything about this old model?

thanks

6. mfgl

mfgl

Jul 1, 2008
    Altoona PA
    It is my bass, the sr485(what i have) turned into the 495, then later 505. It has pickups made by EMG i believe they just say DX5 on them, the bridge one is kinda clean, the neck one is kinda scratchy...best i can describe it im kinda new at this. they all had 5 knobs, i think 495 switched to berts electronics, 505 moved the jack to the front of the bass. I like mine, but as ive said in other posts the g string is very treblee and quiet comparatively. It sounds like a guitar string to me. Other then that i love it, ive messed around in the stores with some squires, schetcter, a fender or two and a couple others and to me mine seems made better (fit and finish) which is nice considering mine is 1999 model i bought used for 200$ The other guy never really played it. It should say on the back of the head above the tuners which it is right below the serial number.

7. mfgl

mfgl

Jul 1, 2008
    Altoona PA
    pics, i didnt see your pic at first it only has 4 knobs...could it be a sr 305?
    modelnumber.
    bassbody.
    bassback.
    also at some point they changed the bridge to one with slots in it
    bridge.

8. Dude...do NOT get that piece of crap used one lol

As far as the SRX305, I owned the SRX3EX Quilted Maple (the better one in 4 string version) and the lack of a mid control knob will mean you'll have trouble cutting through adequately during shows, you're either booming, thin as paper, or clipping because you have both knobs of the 2-band EQ jacked to max.

The pickups are definitely nothing to write home about and kind of get in the way if you like to slap or pick, since the pickups are so freakin huge.

My suggestion, buy what I now own and love to death....a new SR500 (well, 505 in your case since you want the low-b). Mahogany body that looks and feels gorgeous but doesn't weigh a ton, sweet and responsive bartolinis that will make you low b growl like a bear in season, and not to mention one of the best necks that I've ever played on....man, can't write anymore, now I wanna go play it some more lol

In summary: buy a new SR505, only $585 and totally worth every penny =)

9. mfgl

mfgl

Jul 1, 2008
    Altoona PA
    since im new to basses and dont like to mess with stuff i dont know and risk breaking something....on the tuners there is a screw in the end of each wing...once in tune can i loosen that screw and reposition the wing to make it parallel to the neck then tighten it back down? I tried it on one and it didnt seem to move? do i have to pull up on it?

10. I'm definitely more a geek than a carpenter when it comes to basses (not much on construction know-how) but I'll take a shot at this.

I'm guessing, without actually doing it to one, that it might not hurt much. Sooner or later they will go off-center in time, because you'll have to retune your bass (depending on how you wrap and how you play on it).

Why the need for parallel wings? Gig Bag/Hardshell Case woes? Aesthetics?

...OCD? :bag:

11. Master-Blaster

Master-Blaster

Sep 25, 2008
    mfgl, it's not your model, it's a '99 SR505. Check the second url christle posted.

this model:

YEAR: 1996 OWNER: Catalogue Shot © Ibanez 1996

[​IMG]

of course I would buy a NEW SR505 if I could afford it, but here in Argentina everything is much more expensive! (import costs, taxes, etc...)

a new SR505 here is about 970 dollars, and I can get this used old model SR505 for $550 dollars (I know it's too much, but everything is like this here..)

so, my too options are this old SR505, or a new SRX305... I had also thought about a Yamaha RBX375 (I love how it looks) but it's hard to get one, and the price raised recently, a little more expensive than the SRX305

:meh:

12. mfgl

mfgl

Jul 1, 2008
    Altoona PA
    cool guess i had the models wrong.
    about the tuners, purely asthetic, i was just curious if they worked like that.

13. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Honestly, given your budget, you can't go wrong with either bass.

14. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    I've always been partial to the Soundgears myself... even after switching over to Stingrays as my main bass of choice.

They fit like a glove (at least for me) - body seems to be particularly well contoured, especially with the rounded edges.

If you have the liberty to try out the bass before you buy, one thing to check up on is any unwanted noise from the pickups - in particularly coming from stage lights. Ibanez's pups are notoriously poor in this department. Some are fine, but some - the hum/hiss whatever you want to call it will drive you nuts.

15. to me, the sound of the srx is like a low-mid punch in your stomach and... that's all

go for the SR is what I say. Judging on the year it must be japanese too. New SRX will be korean

if you're not satisfied with what your PUPs and pre give you, just go for an upgrade later.

I owned a SR905, which is very close to the 505 but is a neck-through version. It was a very cool bass

16. Master-Blaster

Master-Blaster

Sep 25, 2008
    thanks for all your answers!

I'll buy it, and maybe in the future upgrade the pups

denchig, it's korean, not japanese

thanks!!

17. Get an SR505! Incredible bass, i used to have one, which i sold. I missed her now, the neck is way comfy than Stingray's one to me.

18. Master-Blaster

Master-Blaster

Sep 25, 2008
  19. sr505 is much better. think of it as prestige series bass, but much cheaper.
    Were i you - i'd wait for sr505