old(ish) amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MCBTunes, Dec 28, 2005.

1. I just relized this eden wt400 I have on trial is a 97 version... what are some things to look out for incase this guy is ready to die... or are oldies reliable... vintage comes to mind somewhat :()
  2. I'm using a Peavey Mark IV head that is made in 1982. So for me; oldies work. But it depends on the brand you're using. I can't really imagine that a Eden (which is a bit 'better' brand, if I can put it like that) will let you down so quickly. It's only 9 years old :meh:

It shouldn't give you any problems at all, if it hasn't been drowned, sexually molested and/or shot in the head twice before. ;)

To check if it's OK: play a note and rotate every knob you can find. They shouldn't crackle at all (although this is still a cheap fix). Play with it for quite some time, let it stand on when you're having dinner and when you're back; play again. It shouldn't give any problems. I can't really come up with more 'tests'.
  3. LMAO!!
  4. Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    Less than 10 years old is still "new" to me; in fact, everything I have owned has been used (except for one pedal, which I returned). My Trace combo is a '95, and I took it to a gig virtually "un-proven" but it did fine, and is still doing fine. Since I got it this past summer I have had plenty of time to 'break it in' and it works great. I suppose if something goes, it is usually without warning. In the case of most high-end gear, it should be worth fixing most of the time.

5. Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ

i bet you could have your way with, if you know what i mean, a PV mark 4, and then bury it in the back yard for a while, dig it up, and have it work without a hitch. IMO/IME they are BEASTS and jsut keep on working.

I bought mine used, opened it up, and found sticky dried up cola (beer?) stains, WHOLE generations of Dust Bunnies, and burn marks INSIDE. the only thing wrong with it is that it needed some chip for the crossover. I dropped it, lent it out, spilled on it, played in COLD and hot weather. The pV MkIV Cheap, used, big, heavy, durable, and HIGHLY functional... like my prom date.

6. jazzbo58

jazzbo58 Bassist for My Man Godbey Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2001
    New Orleans, LA USA
    I have a 1974 Acoustic 370 that I use with a 2 ohm load. It so loud that I've never turned the volume past 4. I have never had a problem with this amp.

7. lame(B)ass

Jun 18, 2004
    I used to own very old 150W 15" 11 band EQ Trace Elliot combo. It was Mark IV I think. Never had single problem. Most reliable piece of gear I've seen. Even the jacks were tight as hell. But was heavier that 10 Peaveys... :D Sounded quite good too. :)

Now I have Ampeg SVT-200t. Around 20 years old. So it's little bit younger than the Trace. Still heavy and proud. :D

We also have old Peavey CS-800 PA in rehearsal room. Older than me, quite heavy used for its whole life - still works like new. No faults ever! Heavier that the Trace with the Ampeg together. :D
  8. Yep, there's been much crappier gear that has lasted much longer that the 8 or 9 years that beautiful eden has been alive. :smug:
  9. Edword

Jun 23, 2005
    My '67 Traynor YBA-3 is still going strong.
  10. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Early 70s Bassman 100 head. Replaced a blown fuse and it is fine.

My GK 400RB-III is about as old as that Eden and it too is fine.
  11. Ive got a mid 70's Acoustic 220 head that is still pumping. It's been physically abused but not molested (I checked ;) ) and it's the loudest 160 watts you'll ever hear.

But my 74 Ampeg B80-N 15" combo is the best. I use it all over - practice, gigs, auditions, etc. Wherever it's appropriate. 80 watts of DOOM!! :rolleyes: :D