Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Old Kay acoustic guitar value?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Stinsok, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I was cruising a flea market yesterday and saw an old Kay acoustic guitar. It looked similar to a Silvertone I had as a kid. The neck was held on by 3 screws. The headstock read "steel reinforced neck", but I didn't see any truss rod adjustment. Considering it's age, it looked pretty decent. They were asking 45.00 for it. Would anyone know if these had any collector value?

2. Not really worth more than the $45. You can get a lot better playing and sounding guitars for that price.

Harmony and Danelectro made guitars for all those midwest guitar makers in the 40s-60s.

3. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    This is one of those "plywoody" type guitars that I sure plays and sounds just awful.

4. I forgot to cite the source.

http://www.provide.net/~cfh/dano.html

If you've seen some Silvertones they look like Danelectros, some look like Harmonys. It's because they are Harmonys and Danelectros. I've seen a lot of Kays that look like Harmonys, but not Danelectros.