1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

old Kay (late 50's? early 60's?) upright, and some other stuff

Discussion in 'DB Classifieds Archive' started by klorence, Oct 26, 2005.

1. klorence

klorence

Nov 21, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    hello upright folks.

i'm posting a link to a stuff-for-sale thread on the electric side because I've got an upright & some accessories & some amp/cab stuff that may be of interest over here...

i have some pics posted, and can give some more info via PM if anyone's interested.

i'd also appreciate comments/etc. on what you all think a fair price is for the upright & strings/accessories - i've got some local guys I'm asking as well, but more info is better than less, no?

2. klorence

klorence

Nov 21, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
  3. is there a label or printed number inside the upright bass?

did you have it refinished?

4. klorence

klorence

Nov 21, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    there used to be a label inside - most of it was peeled off, which would lead me to believe it was overhauled at some point. All you can see is the letters SER (part of serial no., i guess) and a little bit of the edge/border design of the label. the rest was peeled off. i'll try again to shine a flashlight or something in there & take another picture, but it's hard to get the right angle...

it was refinished. i'm not sure if the guy who I got it from did it himself or if he had someone do it.

the varnish or laquer is fine, but the stain is slightly uneven in spots. overall, not the best refinish in the world, but not the worst i've seen either.

after much thought, I'm leaning toward keeping this bass unless anyone wants to show up this weekend with cash in hand! :)

5. Ike Harris

Ike Harris

May 16, 2001
    Nashville TN
    I don't believe that's a Kay. From the view of the neck joint and the scroll, it looks like a German or Czech of some sort. I've never seen squared off perfling or a scroll that nice on a Kay.

Ike

6. klorence

klorence

Nov 21, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Well, you guys know more about uprights than I do... :)

I'm just going by what my Dad told me of the bass (he was involved in helping the old local high school get it for their school orchestra in the early 60's.)

From what I can see through the f-hole, on the remains of the serial number label, the letters 'SER' and the little edge design is pretty similar to the picture i've attached from kaybass.com.

the rest of the label is missing, unless it's stuck somewhere inside the bass.

7. ctxbass

ctxbass Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Central Texas
    I have a 1937 Kay Maestro, probably "Alvin Hawes" model. The purfling (real) is rounded rather than squared off at the button, but it does have a carved scroll (on a three piece neck). I think there was more variation in the basses in the first year of production.

8. bassdogEmer

bassdogEmer

Sep 14, 2005
    San Francisco
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie Amps, Bag end,Thomastik - Infeld Strings
    Important to note here: I also have a 1937 Kay - serial #356. This is the first year of Kay Production. they were NOT made in the USA. they were made in germany and shipped over to the US. Most of the Tuner plates state a Czech orgin to get around problems with shipping any goods from Germany to the US with WW2 right around the corner. ALL these Kays have CARVED scrolls. It wasn't until ALL production was moved to the states that they stopped having carved scrolls.

I am actually selling this instrument I am speaking of. Any interested parties should contact me asap
    thanks
    Andy

9. klorence

klorence

Nov 21, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    So does this place my bass's date earlier than I thought?
    late 30's-40's instead of 50's-60's like I thought?

Is the carved scroll a definitive factor?

this is interesting stuff to me - thanks for everyone's input! :)

10. ctxbass

ctxbass Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Central Texas
    Wow! I had no idea. Where did you get this information?

11. bassdogEmer

bassdogEmer

Sep 14, 2005
    San Francisco
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie Amps, Bag end,Thomastik - Infeld Strings
    I got it from a trusted Luthier and also a Kay-0-file who runs a site to register and date the instruments

12. klorence

klorence

Nov 21, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    ??

bassdogEmer -- please see post #9 above -
    i'm really interested in dating my bass.

thanks!
    :)

13. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    I have found flowers and kind words useful in those moments.

14. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    Never caress the f holes on the first date.

15. Though I've gotten away with tugging on the G-string.

Oh Jeez, here we go....

16. klorence

klorence

Nov 21, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA

ah, the humor never stops!

i walked right into these. :p

17. winoscott

winoscott

Dec 28, 2005
    San Diego, Ca
    Do you still have your bass, and if you do what are you asking for it? I am looking to buy an old Kay if anyone is selling. Thanks

18. klorence

klorence

Nov 21, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    hi all

after much thought, i've decided to keep the Kay (and find another way to get some cash for a fretted 6 ;) )

thanks for eveyone's input.

moderators - feel free to delet this thread if you need to.

thanks.

19. FredH

FredH Supporting Member

Yo homey... Someone's selling a englehard in OB cheep, check the Craigelist.