Old Kay or New Carved

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by jazzbassnerd, Jan 4, 2003.

1. jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    Ive always wondered what the general consencus was. Which do you like and why? A 50+ year old kay, or a 10+ yr old carved bass. I play a Kay but i got it from my grandpa and havent played on a carved bass enough to have an opion.
  2. Mr. RC

Mr. RC

Oct 31, 2002
    New York, NY
    I'm not am expert on the subject but will provide my two cents. I have been playing jazz and classical on a Kay for the last 2 1/2 years. I love its jazz sound but for classical it just didn't cut it. I recently played a carved Christopher bass that I am going to purchase and have fallen in love with its tone(especially arco above the ocatave), projection, ect. I'd say that the decision would be based on the type of music your playing. A carved bass would usually be optimum for all situations but a Kay could definitely be used for jazz or bluegrass playing.
  3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I would suggest, unless you have a a great deal on a carved bass that you are considering, that you stick with the Kay for now. At some point you may get the itch for a wood fiddle.

When the day comes that you have 'outgrown' your Kay, you'll know.
  4. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Plywoods- travel great, don't crack as much (less worry), amplify well, and usually sound like poop with the bow.

Carveds- usually sound great with a bow, crack more often, don't like to travel as much, and have a better resale.

These are just generalizations, fellas. Jazzbassnerd, if this Kay is has a pro setup, has a sound you like, and doesn't have any major band-aid repairs waiting to explode, it could be a great instrument. None of us have played these two basses you are comparing, so it is difficult to discuss subtleties. FWIW
  5. jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    I was not comparing any two basses. I think what made this unclear was when i said i havent play a carved bass much. That was a general statement i havent played any carved bass much. I play jazz but i am in my high school orchestra where i have to use my kay because we have 9+ bass players. It sounds great without a bow. I was just wondering what people, in general, would choose.