Old Kustom amps sound?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hublocker, Jul 22, 2008.

1. hublocker

hublocker

May 17, 2007
    What do the old Kustom amps sound like?

I've got a Roand Cube 60 and an Ampeg V4B.

I remember CCR used Kustom amps and in fact saw Fogery play "I put a spell on you" through his in June.

But for bass?

2. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Old Kustoms, the rolled & pleated style, IMO are not only cool looking, but can handle small to fairly large areas with no PA support. Rig I used for several years in the mid to late 70s was a KB200 (100 watts RMS) head with with 2 2-15 CTS loaded cabs. No PA support and no problem being heard with or above the lead guitars Marshall rig and the other guitars large Vox rig. Keep in mind that I play with LOTS of pants shaking bottom, so if you don't, you'll of course have even more volume capabilities. Granted, newer rigs have a bunch more power etc. but the old ones can and do get the job done. And as I mentioned, the cool factor is way up there. There are several colors for these rigs in sparkle that are real eye catching. I have one blue sparkle head and the otheres are black, but I'd love to have red and cascade sparkle. Keep in mind that there are old Kustoms that were for guitars as well as bass. If you end up with one, don't forget the old trick of daisy chaining your channel inputs for maximum power.:cool:

3. TalkBass Sponsor

4. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are.

Feb 11, 2008
    So. Cal.
    Back in the day, I played with a Kustom 200s with a JBL 2x15 cab. Smaller gigs okay but not enough head room with the amp. Also, IME, the cab didn't move enough air. I probably should have added another 2x15 to get to the 4ohms would have done okay with it but I didn't have room to transport more than one cab. I upgraded to a Sunn 2000s head/cab. Moved plenty of air with it.

5. jnewmark

jnewmark Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Play guitar.
    As a previous owner of a 2x15 with a 100 watt head, I can't add much more to this except that I added two JBL E140's to my cab and it was glorious. I used that bottom with several different heads and it was always on the money. Finally had to get rid of it as the tuck and roll does'nt take to traveleing very well and it got pretty ratty looking. But I always got compliments from the drummer when I used it.

6. Funny you bring up the topic of old Kustom Amps, I was at a blues jam this last weekend and the bass player who was letting everybody use his equipment had a Kustom 200 bass head w/a Kustom 2-15 cab. I was surprised at how good it sounded. I don't know if the speakers were original or not, but the sound was real tight with lots of low end. I didn't have the treble that I'm used to running with my Carvin SBR1018, but seriously I could gig with this amp anywhere I play - it had that much power. Considering how old the head is, you'd have to give it a real thumbs up for performance.;)

7. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    About 2 yrs ago I picked up a Kustom Charger which is a 1x15 combo amp at the local mom and pop store for $90. I love it and it would get a lot more use except its competing with a B15.

8. luvpbass

luvpbass

Sep 18, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    hey hudson, how does one go about daisy chaining the channels to get max power?

9. hitch

hitch

Apr 29, 2006
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, D'addario
    I think that the Kustom amps sound great!!! I know this is a little of a sidetrack, but I recently bought a 1969 Plush Royal 1060-S for $250 (from Guitar Center of all places). It is loud as hell. I am getting new tubes and a grounded power cable installed as we speak and I can't wait to get it back. I know these were copies of Kustoms and that internally they are similar to Bassman's (could be wrong about that). I am extremely pleased with it especially for what I paid for it!!!!

[​IMG]

10. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I had a Kustom 200 back in high school - loaded Altec 421As in it. It was adequate but not earth shaking. I could get away with that rig for many of the gigs I play these days...a pair of 15"s will make themselves heard.

The head was nothing special - very reliable but no real tone that was unique. If you pushed it to clipping it sounded pretty nasty.

11. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Howdy luvpbass. My bad. :meh: I was thinking of my situation of using 2 of my Kustom heads, a 50 WRMS and 100 WRMS, together to pump up the power a bit. To daisy chain, you plug your guitar cable into the 1st input of the 1st amp and take another guitar cable and connect it from the 2nd input of the 1st amp into the 1st input of the 2nd amp. :cool:

12. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic and card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    IIRC, old Kustom's (100 and 200 watt models) equipped with 2x15 JBLs sounded very punchy, pretty loud, and capable of a lot of bottom and low mids. Pretty respectable given the alternatives in 1966.

13. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Jim you have a PM.

14. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,

I had a Tuck n Roll Kustom 200 with the 315 bottom back in the day and that ole thang got pretty loud. They were popular back then and held their own against anything until Acoustic came out with their 18 inch reflex cabs. Mr Jameson used a 215 for live gigs as well as the bass player for Creedence Clearwater Revival who liked a pair of 315s and they sounded pretty good to me.

Rezdog

15. Ahh Yes, good old Kustom from Chanute Kansas, spent several days there from several trips to the factory back in the day.

Senior year in H.S. I was asked to join one of the local "Hot Bands" that had a manager that was a Kustom Dealer. At the time I had a Kustom 200 with the triple 15 cabinet, JBL D-140's, decked out in glorious Gold tuck and roll trim. Too Gaudy I was told so the manager ordered up a new rig for me. The P.A. was a pair of 400 heads with 4 2x15 + siren horns on each side, with three guitar players, 200 led heads and a pair of 2x15 Jensen + siren horn cabs each, keys, bass and drums. On our first gig he rolled out my new rig for the band. All Black tuck and roll with four 2x15 JBL D-140 equiped cabs, a 400 head, a brand New Rickenbacker Ric-O-Sound box for my Fireglo 4005 Rickenbacker + a Black 200 Lead Head with a pair of 15 + Horn cabs for the treble pickup side of the Ric 4005. Good Lord Gerty, our first gig was luckily outside, and I had no problemo being heard with three cabs dedicated to bass on either side of the stage.

I'll check the Polaroid archives and see if I can scrounge up a pic or two of that rig.

Cheers,

16. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Bear, I'd love to see photo's of that. ;)

17. rockambo

rockambo

Apr 12, 2005
    Washington, DC
    I have a Kustom K200B (silver tuck and roll) that I recently started playing around with it (it's actually 100w rms @ 4Ω). This particular amp played through a 210 and two 112s was amazingly loud and very, very clear. If you want a very clear, bright sound, I think it is a great amp. If you have a great bass and you want to hear what the bass actually sounds like (as opposed to an effects processor chain) then it might be a good solution.

18. anyone know the specs on those kustom 2x15 vintage padded cabs? how about price for those, what are they worth?

19. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I played trombone back then, but I do remember Kustom's where hot items until The Acoustic 360 and The Sunn Coliseum Bass came on the market.

20. Talking about Kustom amps/cabs or even Plush amps/cabs always takes me down memory lane. Check this out:

[​IMG]

Always wondered how he kept those cabs standing...........

Yep....Kustom.....definite Rock history!

Also, there was an outfit in Louisville Kentucky who, about 2 years ago, had a whole crap-load of those cabs for sale....probably should've grabbed one or two....

21. rockambo

rockambo

Apr 12, 2005
    Washington, DC