1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Old + Mods or New Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by powellmacaque, Jul 17, 2007.

1. I have a Mexican Fretless Precision that just feels so right in my hands, and I love the P-bass tone, but since I switched it to fretless, I only use it in certain situations. I was thinking about eiter buying a new neck, bridge, and pickups for that baby, and playing that, or just using the money I would've spent on that into buying a new American P-bass.

I'm never getting rid of the bass, it's my first one, and it's definately been gigged and frankensteined already, but I'm not sure if it would be worth putting all that money into it.

2. Haven't you kind of answered your own question here? I'd say go get a new bass. That way, you have your fretless, your mexican pbass for when you're feeling nostalgic, and an american p, as opposed to a fretless, and a mexican pbass with more mods.

3. I'm in the same situation, My first bass was a MIM fender Jazz and now I am really Gassing for a Geddy Lee Jazz... but i can;t have two jazzes, and i can;t sell my first bass so i decided to defret it, get a badass for it and change the machine heads, while im at it im replacing the pots since they are all scratchy now. . . It doesn't feel right adding another $200-300 (depending if i do the defret myself) to a $500 bass but I can't bring myself to sellign ti either since the resale would suck.

4. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Keep it as is.
    You'll go back to it, and be happy.

5. since we're talking about it anyway... i figured i might as well post an old pic of it for you guys, cuz you might not believe it exists.

[​IMG]

but thanks for the help, I'm gonna keep it as is (maybe add new pickups later, they're a little noisey), and then just get an American down the road if I find one I fall in love with.

6. Khronic

Khronic Richard J. Naimish Banned

Oct 24, 2006
    Grand Junction, CO.
    Cool Bass. Love the pick guard. All you need now is a new bridge. :bassist:

7. Yea. I really need to now, one of the springs sprung off, and I couldn't find it at the gig, so I've had a replacement spring in my bridge for now. Is putting a new bridge in too hard? I was thinking a badass, but I don't want to have to tap out any holes.

8. Khronic

Khronic Richard J. Naimish Banned

Oct 24, 2006
    Grand Junction, CO.
    Replacing your bridge is quite simple. If it were me, I wouldn't worry about drilling holes in a MIM Fender. You're not going to hurt the resale value much as the guitar is only worth three,four hundred bucks anyway. I'm a fretless player myself and happy to hear you found an axe that feels so good to you. Hang on to it.

I would not recommend a bad a$$ for a replacement bridge. If you decide to go that way, good luck with it. Let us all know how it works out. We'll want pictures of course. :bassist:

9. The Badass2 is a direct Fender Jazz / Fender precision replacement, Just screw it in.

You do however have to file down your own slots in the saddle, not too difficult if you have access to a small file.

10. G.F.C.

G.F.C.

Jul 20, 2007
    Well it does sound like you've answered your own question. It sounds like you don't really want to do anything more to it, but I'd suggest an aftermarket neck from Carvin. It'll run you about $180 total and will give you a graphite nut for better tuning stability, a tilt back headstock so you'll get better sustain, and so on...

Check the bolt pattern to see if it'll work for your particular bass but maybe a new neck or a set of humbucking pickups. Make your own decision but it sounds you want to keep it like it is for nostalgic value.