1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Old MTD Heir vs New Heir

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gintaras, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I am looking at picking up a Heir for a project bass. I was wondering if there is any difference between the new and old Heir's except for the pickguard. I want one basically for the body and hardware and not the electronics.

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Old ones are passive. New ones are active.

3. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    are the body and neck the same?

4. bassguyky48

bassguyky48 Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Central KY./Danville
    Kinda late to be replying, but I don't think so. I own an older Heir with the big white pickguard.....one pickup. I also own a newer red ash 5 string with 2 pickups. The older 5 string has a flatter neck.............otherwise.........pretty much the same.

5. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    16 months... nice!

6. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time.

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    I just got one of the older passive ones for my 14-year old son. It has a compound (I think that's what they call it) neck that changes profile as you move up. It's been modded with a Hipshot bridge, shielding and an Audere 4-band preamp. It's a beautiful and well-crafted instrument, but he just can't seem to groove with the 19mm string spacing.

CL1.

He's spent the past week trying to get used to it, but I'm thinking it may be in the classifieds soon. I thought about keeping it for myself, but I'm too used to the Fender neck profile and my Jazz V is perfect for me.