1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"Old" neck on new Fender Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bssprofundo, Mar 12, 2008.

1. bssprofundo

bssprofundo

Dec 11, 2007
    Hi all. Anyone have any input on this? I want to make sure before I make a purchase. I love vintage frets, but can't afford an entire vintage bass, even neck alone.

I've though about putting the following neck on my 2006 American Series Jazz (will it fit/work?) (Do these necks suck?):

Official Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass Neck- Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass- Rosewood- "C" Shape- 7.25" Radius- 20 Vintage Frets- Genuine Fender

Year: 2008

Serial #: S082914

Country/Make: Japan

2. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    it will fit and they are nice necks

3. Though why don't you pull the frets and have thinner frets put in?

4. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    That's not a bad idea at all- when you factor in the cost of the MIJ neck plus any possible redrilling that has to be done to get the neck holes to line up, it could be more expensive than a fretjob.

5. bssprofundo

bssprofundo

Dec 11, 2007
    I guess that's my question. Will any extra drilling be needed? Where can I find detailed specs before I commit? I've heard a good refret can cost $400 and often don't really come out right. At least if I buy a new neck I have the old one to sell to make up some of the difference.

6. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    I put a Highway one neck on my MIJ body. Worked fine, no issues at all. Cheaper than a refret when the neck only costs $150.

7. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    You can't. You can get close by asking people, tho. I had the reverse at one time (two MIJ bodies and two MIA necks. They fit fine, and the holes lined up, but there was a 3/16" gap at the back. To get it right, I would have had to have a tech dowel/redrill the neck) It will depend on the individual neck. IMO, whenever you buy a neck, you should be prepared to have to have it drilled for perfect pocket fit and alignment, and if you don't, feel lucky.

I've googled "fret job price" and seen them average $250 or so, more for bound necks. They come out as good as the tech who does the work. Think of all the beautiful Gibson archtop guitars and Les Pauls and PRS and Martin and classical guitars and 25-30 year old Alembics out there. If fretjobs were that iffy, no one would ever play a neck-thru or set-neck instrument. They'd all be bolt-ons and we'd replace the necks when the frets got too low. That may have been what Fender intended (probably not), but real lutherie doesn't work that way.

Yup. PM me if/when you decide to sell it.