1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Old Newbie :-)

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by pantherairsoft, Apr 23, 2009.

1. pantherairsoft

pantherairsoft

Apr 22, 2009
    Derby, UK
    Hi People,

New to the forum.

I'm Shep. I had been playing bass for 8 years solid, got through a huge range of gear and had an album out on 2001, but I'll keep the band to myself to avoid any insults and negative feedback :)-)). Main usage was Warwick Basses and Ampeg amps.

I retired from bass playing at the end of 2007 and have not picked up a bass since. I think the time away has done me some good and left me with my creativity bubbling! I am now seriously considering picking one up again.

I'm sure much has changed since I left the scene... but its like riding a bike isn't it :)?

Considering going for one of the few basses I have used but not owned, either a Stingray (everyone has to own one at Some point!?), Warwick Thumb BO (Used to play a streamer quite a bit and always fancied the thumb) or a Wal if I can lay my hands on a pretty one.

Hope to speak to people going forwards,

Shep

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Welcome back!!!!!! I think you couldn't go wrong with any of those basses. I played pro for about 22 years and took a break for about 8 months before returning even part-time. The break was GREAT and I was refreshed and ready to go! I hope it's the same for you!

3. pantherairsoft

pantherairsoft

Apr 22, 2009
    Derby, UK
    Feeling refreshed and excited about getting anew bass. I hadn't felt any urge to play for 18 months so its a great feeling! :)

4. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Hillsdale, Portland
    Hey Shep - took a couple of decades off to raise some kids, etc. after a professional career that spanned the 70's. Returned to playing around 8 years ago and had many of the same questions you have addressed. Didn't find the online community until last year.

It is a great help in reviewing gear, setups and getting advice on specific issues. For instance, I just bought my first set of effect pedals. Have never played with them and the change has been pretty remarkable. I chose the pedals based on the recommendations and discussions here on TB.

Welcome and keep playing!

-richard

5. pantherairsoft

pantherairsoft

Apr 22, 2009
    Derby, UK
    Cheers Richard! Effects was something I used a lot of. It suited they style of music and added an extra dimension to playing in a three piece. I di however look up some of the pedals I used only 2 years ago and they are already obsolete so reviews of new stuff seems good!

To my list of bassess I'm thinking off, on the cheaper side I would like to add a bass i played a few times some years ago. I recall knowing it as a 'Status Groove' Bass. Does any one know if something exists under this name of if it has a more 'official' title!?

Cheers,