Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Old or New GK 800RB

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rockbobmel, Mar 26, 2004.

1. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

What's the difference between new and old. I have a good deal on an older one.

2. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    Get the older ones, those things are virtually indestructable. This coming from someone who's owned five of them. They seem to have quite a problem with quality these days, I've heard that Krueger left a while back and that he was the main design guy.

3. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Are they the same amp design, parts, tranny?

4. `ash

`ash

Feb 26, 2004
    Melbourne
    I had borrowed one of a mate and used it for about 8 months. It a great amp and the contour buttons are quite good.

I believe the difference between the new ones and the older ones, is in two places.
    1. The high out only has one jack as opposed to two on the older models.
    2. The power switch has been rotated 90 degrees. (i cant recall which way though; by that i mean im not sure if the old switch was left/right or up/down.)

5. Bob Gallien is and has always been the main engineer. Rich Krueger was a mechanical engineer so he was responsible for the look of the 800rb, sheetmetal and all that. Bob did all of the electrical engineering. The amp has remained unchanged except where raw materials were no longer available and we had to find substitutes. In most cases, it was only a cosmetic change. The newer ones statistically are not any less reliable than the older ones.

6. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've told this story many times here at TB. My 1990's era 800 fell 5 feet onto a concrete loading doc. The fall bent the case slightly, but the amp ran flawlessly for another 10 years. They're one of the more durable heads out there.